sweat off her beer or beer off her breasts'???

riff ie

• Members

as i've never really jived w/el-84 amps, and have tried more than a few, the only 1 i can say that wowd' me was a machless lightin' circa 2001 or so, it was homeboys and i dug it enough to almost drop 3k then i realized i could buy several amps that were similar and get my mojo workin' instead so tell me of your exp. w/ the ol' el-84 converter as i want to be a fan cuz Brian May sez zo, and you can assure me of said information which is not knowledge yet exp. fold through, get down...

• Members

Do you mean those Yellow Jacket converters? I have a friend that has been running an old Blackface Vibrolux (2x6L6, 35W) with those for years without any problems. Sounds good. He says he likes the way the amp responds better with the Yellow Jackets.

They work by dropping the plate and screen voltages, limiting screen current, and blocking the bias voltage to set up a cathode biased circuit for the EL84s. You'll lose at least half of your output power with these.

• Members

imbuedblue wrote:

Do you mean those Yellow Jacket converters? I have a friend that has been running an old Blackface Vibrolux (2x6L6, 35W) with those for years without any problems. Sounds good. He says he likes the way the amp responds better with the Yellow Jackets.

They work by dropping the plate and screen voltages, limiting screen current, and blocking the bias voltage to set up a cathode biased circuit for the EL84s. You'll lose at least half of your output power with these.

Yeah man, I'll have to google out some more info on these type of converters and see if it will work w/ this amp... Good to hears dudes had some win w/ em', the power drop is kinda the general idear here as to get the power tubes clippin n' all, not that the 5 watt option dosen't bring the goods it's just that i'm curious as to what kinda nieghbor friendly volumes can be coaxd' out of the 84's...

Archived