whats your favorite combo amp?

echodeluxe

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fender Princeton. Blackface or Silverface, with reverb. Why? It's the ultimate recording and small gig amp. Hand built, with P2P wiring. Tube rectifier. Easy to carry, killer classic Fender cleans, reverb and tremolo for the ages. Can play soft and still sound great, and can get reasonably loud and give you some great grit when the occasion calls for it. Takes pedals like a champ - actually it takes pedals better than most Champs IMHO. It's a legendary amp.

Honestly - is anyone really surprised that I'd choose the Princeton? :D

• Members

Right now I've really been enjoying my Mesa F-50. Simply put, it's got lots of headroom, real nice cleans, doesn't get flubby in any way when cranked, takes pedals well, and I've had no reliability issues.

I've also got a SF Deluxe Reverb that I love for many of the same reasons although that guy can get a little flubby and obviously has less headroom but it's an awesome amp too.

• Members

I'm happy with pretty much any fender tube combo. Deluxe reverb, Princeton reverb, twin reverb. All good.

Though lately I've been constrained to a Roland cube 30x and I really, really like it. A couple flavors of nice good clean tones that also take overdrive and fuzz well. Big sound for a solid state amp with a 10 inch speaker in a tiny cabinet. If only the reverb wasn't so {censored}ty on it...

• Members

My Clark Beaufort with 'verb (18 watt Tweed Deluxe clone).  I've had it for about 12 years and I just love the tones I get out of that thing.  Probably why I go through months of not using effects because the amp sounds so good with just the guitar going straight into it.

• Members

I'll add another vote for the Tweed Deluxe. It works in pretty much any situation for me. I love the clean tone, I can throw any of my dirt boxes at it if I need to, it has enough range of natural dirt that I don't need any extra fuzz (though that doesn't stop me from keeping a Tonebender around), it's an easy amp to carry around, and tweed combos just look so nice. 

My runner-up would be the Supro 6424T. 6973s are lovely little tubes, has a great tremolo circuit, and has a wonderful overdriven sound for late 60s garage/psychedelic rock tones.

• Members

For guitar: Early 80's Fender Super Champ. 18W, switching channel, spring reverb, designed by Paul Rivera. They only made them for four years, so they're pretty rare, but they sound great.

mmm

For bass: Ampeg B-15. Best bass amp ever for recording and classic old school sounds.

s

Archived