Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse

Announcement

Harmony Central has “soft launched” our new mobile experience this past week. While we have done extensive testing, we know that with a community as large as HC that there will be items that surface that will still need to be addressed. We are asking that you utilize the thread belowto report any challenges you may encounter. Here are the things we request you provide: A brief description of the issue, the device and operating system version you were using, the browser and version, screen resolution, and a screen shot of the display.
Thanks for your patience as we work towards the best experience we can provide to our community.

http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/...ablet-feedback
See more
See less

whats your favorite combo amp?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• whats your favorite combo amp?

And why? Go!
    Test Tech Wattson Classic Electronics<br><br>EL KABONG wrote: I turned down $25 grand cash for gay sex.

Mesa Mark III.

Owned and operated since 1990, so now it's like an old comfortable pair of high-tops. I've played so many different gigs and rooms with it I can get my distinctive crappy sound no matter what.

Comment

• Phil O'Keefe
      Phil O'Keefe commented
      Editing a comment

Fender Princeton. Blackface or Silverface, with reverb. Why? It's the ultimate recording and small gig amp. Hand built, with P2P wiring. Tube rectifier. Easy to carry, killer classic Fender cleans, reverb and tremolo for the ages. Can play soft and still sound great, and can get reasonably loud and give you some great grit when the occasion calls for it. Takes pedals like a champ - actually it takes pedals better than most Champs IMHO. It's a legendary amp.

Honestly - is anyone really surprised that I'd choose the Princeton?

My Egnater Rebel 30 combo. It is a great versatile amp. Gives me two different tube sets (6L6 and EL84), 1 to 30 watts settings per channel. It is a little heavy but a I have a cart for that. I can get some great sounds from it and it takes pedals well.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Mesa Boogie Road King II
    Carvin 2x12 cab
    Egnater Rebel 30 Combo
    Fender FSR Standard Black
    Schecter Hellraiser Black Cherry
    Ibanez RG570 Blue
    Ibanez AR200 Red Wine
    Gretsch G5120 Orange
    Hofner Shorty White
    Musket > Morley Bad Horsie > DynaComp > FullDrive 2 > BBE Green Screamer > EH POG2 > Ernie Ball Volume > Amp
    Loop EFX: Line 6 M9

Comment

the one that makes tones oh so delicious.
      i have a hot rod. it does nice things
      nonlocality.bandcamp.com

Comment

Vox AC30. I just get along with them better than anything else.

Or a Princeton Reverb for all the reasons Phil gave.

Comment

• Beef
          Beef commented
          Editing a comment
          Right now I've really been enjoying my Mesa F-50. Simply put, it's got lots of headroom, real nice cleans, doesn't get flubby in any way when cranked, takes pedals well, and I've had no reliability issues.

I've also got a SF Deluxe Reverb that I love for many of the same reasons although that guy can get a little flubby and obviously has less headroom but it's an awesome amp too.

AC15.

The volume is perfect at band levels, the cleans are nice and woody, the breakup is sweet.
        Awesome ****************, although I always try to convince myself I want an AC30 too.

<div class="signaturecontainer"><a href="http://soundcloud.com/areher-archer/" target="_blank">My music</a><br><br><a href="http://fakeislands.bandcamp.com" target="_blank">My band</a><br><br><br><br>&quot;You can never have too much reverb son - write that down.<br><br>- Phil Spector</div>

Comment

BG76 is on the right track.

I'd love an old Bassman/Super Reverb, Bluesbreaker, DC-30, Soho, Maverick! Ahhh, so many nice combos.
          <div class="signaturecontainer"><font face="Trebuchet MS"><font size="1"><font color="#996633">Smooth deals with: <i>duncan, the_bleeding, MrSandMan, 6StrngStrangler, mmmmmchina, gproud, Onehourlater, driverhasabomb, bluehuricane, melx, TheErosion, gschmittling, BrianPhase90, roaring20's, ibentmywookie</i><br><br></font><font color="tan">Fender Custom Shop '52 Telecaster<br>Gibson 2013 SG Standard<br>Fender Deville III 4x10<br><b><i>Oh Henry!</i></b> chocolate bars<br>Pedals n' stuff</font></font></font><br><br><b><a href="http://bearflagbearflagbearflag.bandcamp.com" target="_blank">http://bearflagbearflagbearflag.bandcamp.com</a></b><br><br><br></div>

Comment

And actual lol @ 'woody cleans'. You ****************ing connoisseur, you.
            <div class="signaturecontainer"><font face="Trebuchet MS"><font size="1"><font color="#996633">Smooth deals with: <i>duncan, the_bleeding, MrSandMan, 6StrngStrangler, mmmmmchina, gproud, Onehourlater, driverhasabomb, bluehuricane, melx, TheErosion, gschmittling, BrianPhase90, roaring20's, ibentmywookie</i><br><br></font><font color="tan">Fender Custom Shop '52 Telecaster<br>Gibson 2013 SG Standard<br>Fender Deville III 4x10<br><b><i>Oh Henry!</i></b> chocolate bars<br>Pedals n' stuff</font></font></font><br><br><b><a href="http://bearflagbearflagbearflag.bandcamp.com" target="_blank">http://bearflagbearflagbearflag.bandcamp.com</a></b><br><br><br></div>

Comment

• ArcherArcher
              ArcherArcher commented
              Editing a comment
              Sounds like actual wood, dawg.

Great answers all around. I honestly don't know. 63 vibroverb reissue? Ac30? Ac15? Princeton reverb? Sheesh yall.
            Test Tech Wattson Classic Electronics<br><br>EL KABONG wrote: I turned down $25 grand cash for gay sex.

Comment

• A.P. Ryder
              A.P. Ryder commented
              Editing a comment

My Clark Beaufort with 'verb (18 watt Tweed Deluxe clone).  I've had it for about 12 years and I just love the tones I get out of that thing.  Probably why I go through months of not using effects because the amp sounds so good with just the guitar going straight into it.

• zotzinguitar
              zotzinguitar commented
              Editing a comment
              Fender Hot Rod Deluxe III

• conky
              conky commented
              Editing a comment

Carr Rambler.

Cause I've never played through another combo amp that sounded so good.

I'm happy with pretty much any fender tube combo. Deluxe reverb, Princeton reverb, twin reverb. All good.

Though lately I've been constrained to a Roland cube 30x and I really, really like it. A couple flavors of nice good clean tones that also take overdrive and fuzz well. Big sound for a solid state amp with a 10 inch speaker in a tiny cabinet. If only the reverb wasn't so ****************ty on it...
            <div class="signaturecontainer">I didn't come here to save whales, I came here to get laid and make rock 'n' roll</div>

Comment

I really like the hot rod series, too. Great workhorse amps.

Comment

• Faldoe
                Faldoe commented
                Editing a comment

from the combos I've owned or played thus far: Ampeg Gemini I. I'll get another someday.

I'll add another vote for the Tweed Deluxe. It works in pretty much any situation for me. I love the clean tone, I can throw any of my dirt boxes at it if I need to, it has enough range of natural dirt that I don't need any extra fuzz (though that doesn't stop me from keeping a Tonebender around), it's an easy amp to carry around, and tweed combos just look so nice. 

My runner-up would be the Supro 6424T. 6973s are lovely little tubes, has a great tremolo circuit, and has a wonderful overdriven sound for late 60s garage/psychedelic rock tones.

Comment

• BG76
                BG76 commented
                Editing a comment

Here are some other combo amps that I really like a lot:

Dumble

Rickenbacker (my fav slide amp)

Soldano 4x10

Bad pic, but these little Gibson amps are awesome

Fender 1974 Champ with a 30 watt 8in Celestion speaker
              Then
              Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
              Then
              Marshall DSL40C - I am really impressed with the sound for being a Vietnam import.
              It doesn't get any better than this

Comment

Pretty much anything in the sonic neighborhood of a Fender Tweed amp. I'm currently playing a Bogner New Yorker.

Why? They're fun to play.

<div class="signaturecontainer">&quot;There is no best in music.&quot;<br />
                -- Neil Young, 1987<br />
                <br />
                <a href="http://lamkins-guitar.com/" target="_blank">My music pages</a></div>

Comment

• jhamnett
                  jhamnett commented
                  Editing a comment

Ampeg VT-22. Because switchable center frequencies for your tone controls is awesome.

• lz4005
                  lz4005 commented
                  Editing a comment

For guitar: Early 80's Fender Super Champ. 18W, switching channel, spring reverb, designed by Paul Rivera. They only made them for four years, so they're pretty rare, but they sound great.

mmm

For bass: Ampeg B-15. Best bass amp ever for recording and classic old school sounds.
                  s

Attached Files

oops
                nonlocality.bandcamp.com

Comment

• VTEC_Dreams
                  VTEC_Dreams commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I've gotta agree on the Soldano. *Any* Soldano.

That said, I've got an early 90's Ampeg VH-140c 2x12 combo that I am absolutely head over heels for. It's so, so good.

Working...
              X