brownie

BrentMpls

Brownie never interested me as much as Blackie did. Having said that, it's a recreation of a pretty well-known guitar, and the guys who make those things are true artists. Last year, Dennis did a limited run of hand-built Strats based on Buddy Holly's Strat. The amount of work and attention to detail that goes into those guitars is quite impressive.

Dennis with Buddy Holly Strat

Phil with Buddy Holly Strat

They're recreations of specific guitars with historical significance. These guitars are very specialized, very true to the originals, and are made in very limited quantities by first-rate builders. They look and play great, but most of them are not going to wind up as "players"; most are going to end up in someone's expensive collection.

They may not be "it" for a lot of us, but these types of guitar releases usually sell out pretty fast, so someone's interested. 

• Members

Zappa74 wrote:

Stratocaster

Eric Clapton

Sunburst

Three strikes and you're out.

I know around this corner of the internet there is some bizzare dislike for Clapton and strats compared to J. Masics and Jazzmasters, but growing up I was a big fan.

I think Clapton's and Brian May's efforts to customize their guitar played a big part of me wanting to modify mine as well. 

I thought there might be some people who enjoyed the video for what it was though. 

• Members

Phil O'Keefe wrote:

Brownie never interested me as much as Blackie did. 

I would agree, although I think Brownie had some amazing history and songs played through it, and was essentially the prototype for Blackie. 

• Members

V wrote:

So did I understand correctly that the pickup covers are shielded or was the luthier talking about the pickguard?

The director of marketing's exact words were "the pickups are shielded" and at the same time they showed that the pickguard inside had shielding. They did not show, or verablly specify if the pickup covers were shielded. I would highly doubt that they would be/were. 

• Members

But Phil,

It is a $400 guitar.

They price it at $15k.

There is no amount of attention that could be lavished on this otherwise commonplace instrument to deserve that price.

It is not made of any special materials, nor was the original special in any way.

"They don't make them like they used to, and never did".

• Members

I would say there's certainly a lot of craftsmanship in replicating the exact appearance and feel of a particular instrument. I mean, if anyone could exactly replicate every detail of any of my strats they'd certainly have their work cut out for them.

• Members

That said I would not pay for a replica of someone else's guitar except as an investment.

I mean what am I gonna do with someone else's guitar? I wouldnt be able to leave it alone anyway.

• Members

Phil O'Keefe wrote:

...Last year, Dennis did a limited run of hand-built Strats based on Buddy Holly's Strat. The amount of work and attention to detail that goes into those guitars is quite impressive.

Dennis with Buddy Holly Strat

Phil with Buddy Holly Strat

I just started reading this thread and wondered if they ever made a Buddy Holly Strat. Thanks, Phil!

Archived