Need some 5150/6505 info !

• Members

Need some help from your persoanl insight/experience with the 5150-series of amps.

Can you guys (in an easy to follow fashion) pin point the major tonal diffs (and maybe features) of the 5150 family of amps.

What are the diffs (improvements/pro's/con's, and, and, and) between the 5150, 5150II, 5605, 6505+, 6534+ and the EVH 5150III.

I spoke with some local guys, and some still feel the very first block letter 5150 had the most organic, distictive and "raw'est" tone of the entire series.

Those same muso's feel the EVH 5150III sounds too generic and when A/B'ed with most other high gain amps, will not stand out from the crowd as a member of the 5150 family, like th e1st gen 5150 does.

NO NEED to comment on the 'el cheapo 1X12 combo.

So guys, any info will be greatly appreciated.

• Members

5150 and 6505 are exactly the same.  5150II and 6505+ are exactly the same.  I have no experience with the others  I used to own a 5150II and I've played plenty of the original 5150 models too.  

It's not a very popular opinion, but I always preferred my mkII model to the original.  The 5150II actually has a fairly decent clean channel, it also has a crunch channel (which is a little odd as it shares a gain control with the clean), and then the lead channel is smoother and more modern than the original 5150.

The original 5150 model has a more raw high gain tone, it's not as refined as the mkII but it's good in a different way.  You have to bear in mind that cleans on the original 5150 model are, at best, poor.  They're also not really very clean unless you have really low output pickups.  But then, nobody buys a 5150 for the cleans.

They're both great amps - and LOUD - but the 5150II/6505+ is the one to go for if you want more versatility and better cleans.  You might be happier with a 5150/6505 if all you need is a simple amp that does brootz.

With either of them, IMO you're looking at one of the best amps available for metal.  There are more expensive alternatives out there, but I'd take one of these two over any Mesa, Engl or Framus.  

• Members

ChuckNorris1982 wrote:

5150 and 6505 are exactly the same.  5150II and 6505+ are exactly the same.  I have no experience with the others  
I used to own a 5150II and I've played plenty of the original 5150 models too.  

It's not a very popular opinion, but I always preferred my mkII model to the original.  The 5150II actually has a fairly decent clean channel, it also has a crunch channel (which is a little odd as it shares a gain control with the clean), and then the lead channel is smoother and more modern than the original 5150.

The original 5150 model has a more raw high gain tone, it's not as refined as the mkII but it's good in a different way.  You have to bear in mind that cleans on the original 5150 model are, at best, poor.  They're also not really very clean unless you have really low output pickups.  But then, nobody buys a 5150 for the cleans.

They're both great amps - and LOUD - but the 5150II/6505+ is the one to go for if you want more versatility and better cleans.  You might be happier with a 5150/6505 if all you need is a simple amp that does brootz.

With either of them, IMO you're looking at one of the best amps available for metal.  There are more expensive alternatives out there, but I'd take one of these two over any Mesa, Engl or Framus.  

exactly this.  i played a 5150 for years when i was doing the straight metal thing and would gladly go back. I had a sig series but i always liked my buddy's 5150II a little better.  If memory serves the II has active eq and mine sure didn't.  

Archived