Hey Irish dudes...

First of all, Happy St Patrick's Day. :)

I thought I'd take this opportunity to ask you guys a few questions if you don't mind.

If St Paddy's Day falls on a Sunday, do you get Monday off work as a paid holiday?

If someone has green eyes, do they get a pass over there on the whole wearing of the green thing? And do you pinch people for NOT wearing green on St Paddy's Day?

Do you drink and act as nuts as they do over here on March 17? Really - it's pretty bonkers. You guys must think we're crazy. Do you?

What will you have for dinner this evening - anything special?

Do you have any plans for the holiday?

• Members

Happy Paddy's Day Phil!! 

yup we are off work tomorrow and paid for it, pretty fantastic!

most Irish people here don't really wear all that much green today(well kids do1) but for adult maybe a Rugby or Football Jersey but that's about it, all the tourists here for the holidays go crazy for it though!

nope don't pinch anyone for not wearing green, I think that could be a stateside invention!

Yes, we like to think we are legendary drinkers and a certain percentage of us are, but we'll be the ones putting in a long shift at the bar pacing ourselves well and not getting messy

but THIS...

...is the kinda scene we are notorious for! and that's not even St Patrick's day!

so Basically up and down the lenght and breath of the country today jus about everyone between 15/16 and 25 will be in similar condition to this. not something I'm all that proud of but I did it myself and survived it and I've got some great storys of some crazy ones from my youth.

I've never been in the states on March 17th so can't really comment on how crazy it gets! 

for dinner?, probably a really crappy burger from BK or Mc Donalds!! 

• Members

If St Paddy's Day falls on a Sunday, do you get Monday off work as a paid holiday? Yes, it's a bank holiday in both the north and the south of Ireland.

If someone has green eyes, do they get a pass over there on the whole wearing of the green thing? And do you pinch people for NOT wearing green on St Paddy's Day? I've never felt under any particular pressure to wear green on St Patrick's Day! However, a lot of people would wear something green or Irish themed if they were attending a parade or something. Some people pin shamrock to their clothing too, which is a bit more subtle.

Do you drink and act as nuts as they do over here on March 17? Really - it's pretty bonkers. You guys must think we're crazy. Do you? People drink and act nuts every weekend/bank holiday! Perhaps it is slightly more extreme, especially if the day coincides with a Friday or Saturday. In Northern Ireland events can have political connotations, so it can be quite divisive.

What will you have for dinner this evening - anything special? No.

Do you have any plans for the holiday? I'm in England at the moment, so I don't have Monday off!

Archived