The type of music you like and your personality.

• Members

This wouldn't surprise me, as I tend to be a technical person and my music taste seems to reflect this with an emphasis in those genres on theory knowledge, instrumental technique and other elements such as multi-imstrumental playing.

• Members

Mostly, I love and play psychedelic music, but Ive never done any drugs in my life.

I used to do remixes and dance music as well, and I hate clubs and dont drink.

Noone believes me when I say Im straight Edge.

I never have figured all that out.

Felix959 wrote:

I like how there are no negative personality traits mentioned in the analysis.

"Listeners of Southern Rock were found to be depressive, prone to alcoholism and, if the memory of Ronnie Van Zandt was impugned, violence."

That's because there's nothing negative about music. ;)

• Members

I don't really buy it, but it's interesting anyways.

I suppose these would be my preferences from most preferred to least preferred:

1 Reflective and Complex (Cocteau Twins, The Sea and Cake, Radiohead, Bowie, Eno, Shoegaze, Ambient, etc.)
2 Upbeat and Conventional (The Beatles, Classic Rock, etc.)
3 Intense and Rebellious (The Doors, The Stooges, WIRE, Nirvana, NIN, etc.)
4 Energetic and Rhythmic (Michael Jackson, Disco, etc.)

But looking at these general categories, it's obvious how much BS this is. Most if not all of the bands I placed in category 1 make music that would fit in any of the other 3 categories.

• Members

I definitely believe that there is a link between musical tastes and personality, but I think the researchers got it wrong by focusing on such a broad stylistic and genre-based approach. I guess you have to start somewhere.

Personally, I've always been drawn to particular individuals or bands instead of certain genres or styles. I often find that music that sounds similiar to music I like does absolutely nothing for me, and have always found that if I read about my favorite musicians--regardless of genre--I tend to find a lot about their personalities that I identify with. Maybe I'm just a weirdo who doesn't fall into any of those stock categories and tends to gravitate towards other weirdos who don't fall directly in line with a particular category.

• Members

"Alternative, heavy metal and rock music are in the Intense and Rebellious group"

Rant mode: activate! :lol:

I hate, HATE the term "alternative" as a music genre. Sure it represents an era of music closely associated to a few well-defined subcultures, but musically it makes absolutelly no sense! It's like, what does your band sound like? Oh, we sound alternative.

Alternative to what? Musically speaking?

You know, alternative!

I mean, it encompasses the most varied collection of styles imaginable! And since the 2000's, it's meaningless, because two thirds of mainstream stuff that comes out now could easily be classed as mid 90s "alternative". Entire modern genres could be. It's as meaningless a label as putting any and all music with guitars under "rock".

Rant mode: deactivate.

Archived