SG pickguards - original, or batwing? Pickups - P90 or humbuckers? Wrap, ToM, or Vibrola? etc. etc.

To me, when it comes to the SG, IMHO there are seven main questions:

Inlays:

• Block
  • Dots
  • Trapezoid

Pickguard:

• Batwing
  • Original "'61 style" small guard

Bridge / tailpiece:

• One piece / "wrap-around" bridge / tailpiece
  • Tune-o-matic and stop tailpiece
  • Tune-o-matic + Maestro vibrola

Pickups:

• Humbuckers
  • P90s

Color:

• Cherry
  • Brown
  • Black, White, Pelham Blue, Cardinal Red, Inverness Green, or some other less common color

Neck:

• 50s profile
  • 60s SlimTaper profile

Hardware:

• Chrome / nickel
  • Gold
  • Black

My choices are in bold. What are your preferences for each of these items?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Don't forget about stoptail with short vibrola...probably my favorite combo found on juniors and specials.

I like cherry but all colors are cool to me.

P90's are my favorite but I also like humbuckers.

Small guard big guard it's all good to me as long as the neck is nice. I can get on with thin and wide necks but I prefer a medium to large size neck. I just dig sg's preferably with a vibrola.

• Members

There's what I have, and what I wish I had ... LOL.

Have: dots, batwing, cherry, TOM-stop, chrome, humbuckers.  Actually very happy w/it except I'd prefer a green, semi-transparent finish with trapezoidal inlays.

Am I weird for thinking that anything beyond a ToM-stop makes the SG look a little overdressed?  I always think of it as a "lean and mean machine," and so like them simple, like I like Teles to be simple.

companyman wrote:

I have to say my SG is the most comfortable guitar I have owned playing standing up with a strap. It is very light and hangs just right when slung real low, where I like it!

No neck dive issues? If I use a nylon strap, the headstock of most SG's I've tried seem to head towards the floor...  It's the one issue about the guitar that bugs me the most. Actually, there's one other issue. Because of the way they're designed, and because of where the neck / body joint is, I tend to misjudge where I'm at on the neck more when playing an SG. :o

• Members

GuitarSlim101 wrote:

I agree with Phil's specs, except I prefer the 50's neck. I also have a soft spot for juniors, and I'm in the process of converting my teal/blue flip-flop special to a junior, which looks like a yellowed Pelham blue. Should be sexy.

what do you mean flip flop?

• Members

When I saw the new 2013 Standards had almost every feature I love about SGs, I had to pick one up. And the fact that Sweetwater had 24 months no interest helped. LOL

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SG13NBCH-13/

Trapezoids, neck binding, 57s (I might try some zebra Duncans), 60s SlimTaper, small pickguard, etc. As the link shows, I went with the Natural.

Archived