Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

SG pickguards - original, or batwing? Pickups - P90 or humbuckers? Wrap, ToM, or Vibrola? etc. etc.

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SG pickguards - original, or batwing? Pickups - P90 or humbuckers? Wrap, ToM, or Vibrola? etc. etc.

To me, when it comes to the SG, IMHO there are seven main questions:

Inlays:

• Block

• Dots

• Trapezoid

Pickguard:

• Batwing

• Original "'61 style" small guard

Bridge / tailpiece:

• One piece / "wrap-around" bridge / tailpiece

• Tune-o-matic and stop tailpiece

• Tune-o-matic + Maestro vibrola

Pickups:

• Humbuckers

• P90s

Color:

• Cherry

• Brown

• Black, White, Pelham Blue, Cardinal Red, Inverness Green, or some other less common color

Neck:

• 50s profile

• 60s SlimTaper profile

Hardware:

• Chrome / nickel

• Gold

• Black

My choices are in bold. What are your preferences for each of these items?

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

- George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

- Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

- Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Agreed but no pelham and p90s. Love burst or white
    <div class="signaturecontainer">Proud Member of the Jet Setters (Jet City Lounge)</div>

Comment

• Phil O'Keefe
      Phil O'Keefe commented
      Editing a comment

jw10 wrote:
      Agreed but no pelham and p90s. Love burst or white

I forgot to list sunburst - my apologies.

Same as Phil but stop tail piece and Pelham Blue is a favorite.
    RoboPimp: yup, part of growing up is abandoning any hopes and dreams and giving up on anything that you feel passionate about or makes you happy. then comes years of waiting for sweet death.

Comment

Dot / MOP

nashville

mini hums

white

60's

chrome / nickel

ebony board / unbound / satin / 6105 wire

gibson / grover tuners

changes come w/ the whether...

Comment

• trainbridge
        trainbridge commented
        Editing a comment
        Don't forget about stoptail with short vibrola...probably my favorite combo found on juniors and specials.

I like cherry but all colors are cool to me.

P90's are my favorite but I also like humbuckers.

Small guard big guard it's all good to me as long as the neck is nice. I can get on with thin and wide necks but I prefer a medium to large size neck. I just dig sg's preferably with a vibrola.

:wow: I'll take that one!

Comment

• DigiTechRep
        DigiTechRep commented
        Editing a comment
        I don't believe in owning one SG, these are my pref's.
        • Trapezoid
        • Batwing
        • Tune-o-matic
        • Humbuckers or P90's
        • White or Pelham Blue
        • 50's-ish profile (there's a lot of "ish" with Gibsons)
        • Chrome / nickel
        • Bound fretboard
        • On the heavy side

Gotta be batwing

Comment

Obviously all the bold ftw.

Sometimes a P90 is nice. A Jr. is a good thing.

<div class="signaturecontainer"><font size="1">Fender-TeleSonic Tele Elite, ProJr, 75Amp, '67 Bassman w/212 cab<br />
        Gretsch- 71 Nashville, 2003 New Nashville<br />
        Gibson- 76 LP '55 model<br />
        BC Rich- 1977 Koa Eagle deluxe<br />
        Martin- 1972 D-35<br />
        Mesa Boogie-Subway Blues w/12&quot; EVM 12L-F cab.<br />
        Assorted fun toys and boxes of joy.<br />
        &quot;Many are cold, few are frozen&quot;</font></div>

Comment

I have to say my SG is the most comfortable guitar I have owned playing standing up with a strap. It is very light and hangs just right when slung real low, where I like it!

Comment

• cobalt-60
            cobalt-60 commented
            Editing a comment

My favorite color is the faded cherry red that turns burnt orange. Original PG all the way.

• Danhedonia
            Danhedonia commented
            Editing a comment

There's what I have, and what I wish I had ... LOL.

Have: dots, batwing, cherry, TOM-stop, chrome, humbuckers.  Actually very happy w/it except I'd prefer a green, semi-transparent finish with trapezoidal inlays.

Am I weird for thinking that anything beyond a ToM-stop makes the SG look a little overdressed?  I always think of it as a "lean and mean machine," and so like them simple, like I like Teles to be simple.

• Phil O'Keefe
            Phil O'Keefe commented
            Editing a comment

companyman wrote:
            I have to say my SG is the most comfortable guitar I have owned playing standing up with a strap. It is very light and hangs just right when slung real low, where I like it!

No neck dive issues? If I use a nylon strap, the headstock of most SG's I've tried seem to head towards the floor...  It's the one issue about the guitar that bugs me the most. Actually, there's one other issue. Because of the way they're designed, and because of where the neck / body joint is, I tend to misjudge where I'm at on the neck more when playing an SG.

No neck dive with mine

Comment

• Phil O'Keefe
            Phil O'Keefe commented
            Editing a comment

companyman wrote:
            No neck dive with mine

Do you use a nylon backed strap, or a suede backed strap? With suede, it seems to be less of an issue.

Leather ace strap, the shiny kind

Comment

I agree with Phil's specs, except I prefer the 50's neck. I also have a soft spot for juniors, and I'm in the process of converting my teal/blue flip-flop special to a junior, which looks like a yellowed Pelham blue. Should be sexy.

Comment

• goodhonk
            goodhonk commented
            Editing a comment

GuitarSlim101 wrote:
            I agree with Phil's specs, except I prefer the 50's neck. I also have a soft spot for juniors, and I'm in the process of converting my teal/blue flip-flop special to a junior, which looks like a yellowed Pelham blue. Should be sexy.

what do you mean flip flop?

It's one of those chameleon paints. Depending on how the light hits it, it can look blue or green. But the clear coat has yellowed enough that it just shifts from green to slightly darker green now.

Comment

That sounds cool

Comment

sweet CHRIST I want an SG.
              <div class="signaturecontainer"><font face="Trebuchet MS"><font size="1"><font color="#996633">Smooth deals with: <i>duncan, the_bleeding, MrSandMan, 6StrngStrangler, mmmmmchina, gproud, Onehourlater, driverhasabomb, bluehuricane, melx, TheErosion, gschmittling, BrianPhase90, roaring20's, ibentmywookie</i><br><br></font><font color="tan">Fender Custom Shop '52 Telecaster<br>Gibson 2013 SG Standard<br>Fender Deville III 4x10<br><b><i>Oh Henry!</i></b> chocolate bars<br>Pedals n' stuff</font></font></font><br><br><b><a href="http://bearflagbearflagbearflag.bandcamp.com" target="_blank">http://bearflagbearflagbearflag.bandcamp.com</a></b><br><br><br></div>

Comment

Do it

Comment

Working...
              X