The Boss RC-3 or Digitech Jamman Solo XT loop pedal?

ChuckDawg

• Members

Hi everyone! I'm new here and need your help. I just finished my pedalboard which took me 4 year's to get it perfect and need a small loop pedal. I narrowed down to the Boss RC-3 or Digitech's Solo XT so I can put one right on the pedalboard. Which one is easier to use and which one has better drum tracts installed? Thanks for all your help in advance!!!

• Members

I just got a Jamman Solo and figured out how to work the thing in about 10 minutes. Sounds good, no tone suck, and going in to edit and save loops isn't a hassle. I don't use the drum beats at all but the little bit I scrolled through them they sounded ok to use for practicing at home. Got mine on ebay for $135 shipped and it was brand new.

• Members

I have the RC3, and it's excellent.  Until the most recent firmware update from Boss, it did have one annoying thing-- if you wanted to switch between two different saved loops there would be this tiny (but noticeable) gap.  Not a big deal at home, but could be a dealbreaker if you're a guy who gigs loops.  In any case, the latest update fixed it completely, and now I am completely happy with the RC3. 

That said, if I was buying right now I would probably grab the Solo XT because I love the idea of syncing two of them up.  Super cool for gigging complex loops or working with a bandmate who loops as well.

• Members

Thanks for your help El Gallo Negro! How do the drum tracts sound? I don't need it to gig with. I just want one for practise and for saving song ideas. I called both Digitech and Roland (Boss) and they said I could download WAV files for adding extra backing tracts. Also, is there a time limit for each memory slot? For instance could I loop continuously for ten or so minutes in just one slot? Sorry for all the questions and thanks for all your help and patience!

• Members

Unfortunately I'm the wrong dude to ask about the drum tracks, because I never use them.  I have read a few people say that they are a little underwhelming, but as you say, you could always import other drum tracks if you want.

As for loop time, I think it has just an overall storage capacity-- can't remember how much, but it's quite a bit-- and you can distribute that however you like amongst the 99 slots.

• Members

DigiTechRep or Conky, I remember reading about people having issues using the software for the JamMan and solo XT's software. What are the issues? in other words what are the problems that the people are speaking of and is there a way to get around them? Also, do you just download the software from digitech's home website?

• Members

DigiTechRep, or anyone else here know if I can have separate volume controls over my WAV. downloaded drum tracts and my loops I'll be laying down on top of them? I know I keep saying it but I really appreciate everyone's help. This is the finishing touch on a 4+ year project and I want to get it right!

• Members

If the XT is the same as all other Jammans - the drum/rhythm tracks aren't editable, they are built in and you're limited to whatever Digitech included. You have control over the rhythm's volume, but its of a limited number of drum patterns. 

The Loop slots can have drum tracks loaded into them but if you record guitar with it, you only can control the volume of that loop slot - that has both drums and guitar.

My point/suggestions for Digitech is that they make the Rhythms for the Jamman also editable, that way you can load some electronic drum patterns which can be mixed with any of the loop slots. You'd have volume control for the Loop slot - guitar/bass/synth/ whatever, and also have volume control over the selected rhythm track - electronic drums, glitch beats, etc. 

I just find all the stock Jamman Rhythms useless. Might be good if you're like the guy in the video below... looping blues type progressions and making exaderated faces while practicing your solos. 

I think more user/owner manipulation would open up the possiblities for musicians that aren't of the kind as in the video.

• Members

ChuckDawg wrote:

DigiTechRep or Conky, I remember reading about people having issues using the software for the JamMan and solo XT's software. What are the issues? in other words what are the problems that the people are speaking of and is there a way to get around them? Also, do you just download the software from digitech's home website?

Yeah, just go to the digitech website and download it from there. I downloaded the software with no problems but I haven't used it yet other than opening it up and making sure it downloaded and installed properly. I put all of my samples on there just by running the headphone out into the aux input on the side of the pedal. Easy as pie.

EDIT:

Also a huge +1 on whatr Faldoe said above me. I find the drum tracks completely useless but having the ability to be able to do that would open that part of the pedal up to tons of creative uses other than to simply be a bedroom jam tool.

• Members

I was also looking at the JM4 Looper by Line 6 BUT it has very limited time for recording (I believe its only 16 mins. total). It has a ton of drum tracts and bass tracts but everything else on it (such as added effects and amp modelings) are useless for my needs. I just want the best SMALL loop pedal I can find so I can put it right on my pedalboard. Its too bad ths a company hasn't done what you've said, Faldoe!!! That's what I was looking for. I did find a good used JamMan in mint condition for $90 online. Should I grab it?!?

• Members

I'm grabbing one this week. It's worth the added bonus of having the ability to use two together if I ever want to grab a second one just for drum or bass loops down the road. Thanks for all the help and for the sales pitch. J/k Thanks again!

Archived