Mr Black Tunnelworm TZF

Last Nerve

• Members

Jack- I have listened to that clip many a times. Very Nice!

Just some standard questions-

-can it do Police/Rush/etc? (non-TZ flanging?)

-any experience with it in an fx loop? (my Suhr Badger just has a simple loop- no volume/blend/level controls and I don't think it is a tube-buffered loop)

-do you need to run some dirt into it to really get the TZF?

-how many mA does it need? (or can you safely say less than 100mA?)

• Members

In order of appearance:

-Yes. Turn the Zero knob to noon.

-As long as your FX loop isn't kicking out a 20V P-T-P signal you'll be fine and it'll sound excellent. This is how I use it.

-No. If you want the really dramatic vacuum-crazy-inside-out-blackhole sound, dirt helps, but it isn't required. TunnelWorm's algorithm includes dynamic regeneration to ensure the signal fully cancels at the zero point. Clean or dirty.

-TunnelWorm needs a little less than 60mA. Impedance specs and control operations are detailed in the owner's manual.

• Members

Ok, school a noob. What is TZF and what it do?

Through Zero Flanging.

>>>

The common electronic flanging effect is accomplished by mixing one delayed signal with the original undelayed signal. As such, one of the signals is unaltered in time, while the other signal is alternately delayed behind the original and then speeded back up to produce the effect. In analog tape flanging, first one signal is delayed (by slowing down one of the tape machines by pressing the flange), then the other signal is slowed down (by pressing the flange of the other tape machine) to "catch up" with the delayed one, "passing" through the point of perfect time alignment (the "zero point") and continuing to slow down, thus becoming itself the delayed signal. This effect is sonically much more dramatic than simple one-track flanging. Zero-point flanging (also known as "through-zero flanging") can't be easily replicated by simple digital delay circuits because both signals are progressively slowed down one after the other and before long the delay time limits of the circuits are reached

• Members

Oh ok.

I still don't get it. Sounds like other flangers I've heard. Do they all do this?

• Members

its just that one part of the sweep where it sounds like its getting sucked up then spit back out the other side of a singularity

not really something you'd need often but its a neat trick

Like I said the flanger hoax does TZF better than any other I've heard along with a million other crazy sounds

• Members

Think of "House Burning Down" by Hendrix on "Electric Ladyland." That's the best example that I know. There may be others ....

There's plenty of others. I can think of three.

It was popular to do this in the late 70's and 80's to a full mix. Eagles - Life in the fast lane, doobies - listen to the music, I know Boston did it on one song too.

It's fun to replicate this sound with turntables and two copies of the same record. :)

• 6 months later...
  • Members

AND the Tunnel Worm CAN Run on BAtteries !!

1. It sounds killer.

2. Its versatile not a one trick pony.

3. It does Leslie.

4. Its a killer chorus.

5. Its Purple...Sparkle.

6. It does TZF for $170 ish in a hot mxr sized box running on a 9 volt batt or PP2.

7. Easy to dial in.

8. Its trippy for yo sit in board.

tzfyos

• Members

When i first got my paradox tzf (preordered) ;). The TZF was always on as just a tone pedal light chorus, i just liked the way it chunked up my tone, and left it on so even though u think u dont use flange a lot its easily addicting , i was floored with the Tzf cuz here was a flanger one can easily use in Blues Rock andd my previous opinion of flange was digital 80's rack flange crap.

Archived