Budget electro acoustic recommendations

• Members

Hey all, I'm looking at picking up a new electro acoustic in the next couple of months.  I'm not going to rush into it, so can wait out for deals etc.

Generally into bigger, fuller sounding guitars so I don't think something with a small body would suit me.  Maybe a dreadnought, Jumbo, grand auditorium type of size would work best?

Budget is about

• Members

DOWNSIDE TO THIS POST: None of that built in tuner/EQ/volume if you need that. If you do, ignore the following:

Do you mind getting a pickup you can wedge in the soundhole?

My experience with a couple of Seymour Duncan Woody pickups in a few guitars (mostly nice but cheap stuff, Tanglewood, Yamaha etc) has been excellent.

Feels like it's what you want but I could be way off. Take a gander.

Potentially you could get a straight acoustic and use one.

• Members

I've actually been on a bit of a YouTube jaunt this evening and have looked at a few alternatives. The Woody XL seems to be one of the better sounding ones from what I've seen, but the LR Baggs and Shadow ones seem to sound real nice too. It's kinda difficult to tell from YouTube videos though.

• Members

The Shadow has the rep for being the best. And thats what you'll see most pros using when cost is not really and object. But they are 2x the price of the Baggs. The Wodody looks to have come a long ways from the older ones.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/seymour-duncan-woody-xl-adjustable-pole-pieces-soundhole-pickup

Adj pole pieces. But its still just a cord hangiing outof you soundhole. I dont like that. I much prefer it to be direct wired to an endpin jack.

• Members

It depends on how you use them. If you use an APX as the only acoustic on stage, it does lack something. Use it to add a bit more sound up there with another acoustic as the main sound and it goes well. 

All the Yamaha guitars are damn fine for the money. A friend of mine has one of the cheap models from ten years ago and it's one of the most playable guitars I've ever come into contact with. It's not the best sounding acoustic I've used but it's just so much fun to play. 

Archived