Which guitar would you choose?

fuzzface71

• Members

Personally, I would keep the Les Paul. I've never been able to get the right sounds out of an SG, while the LP will "growl" when needed, "sting" when needed, and has a pleasing bass/treble mix. However, for every "gimme" there's a "gotcha". The LP is about 2 1/2 times heavier than the SG.

Why not keep them both? They're like tools of the trade - you need a light/portable guitar with a sound that you like: SG. You need an upgrade in sound, easily bendable strings, and a soft touch: LP.

This is honestly one of the hardest This vs. That questions I've ever seen on this forum. They both appear to be excellent examples of classic designs, with the kind of features I'd look for.

If one or the other has a flaw of some sort in terms of versatility, playability (the "feel" of the neck would be a significant deciding factor for me), sound, or overall vibe, then that's the one to (grudgingly) get rid of. Based strictly on looks, IMHO, it's too close to call.

• Members

Sell the CD collection and keep both guitars.

Don't get me wrong, most of my CDs were jacked out of my car a few years ago and I don't miss them as much as the guitars I have that are as nice as those two.

Also, this is a very tough decision. I don't mean to be insensitive but if you gotta chose it's down to how they
 both play.

• Members

I'm wondering about which one can be replaced more easily down the line when you decide its time for another, or something similar. They both look like killer guitars, I love the look of the sg, but a good lp is hard to beat. If it is a money issue and you love both guitars equally, then it may come down to which one would sell for more or would be cheaper to replace. if it is a too many guitars issue and all other factors are equal, then whichever one you can sell for more.

Archived