Looking for some single coils hotter than my Toneriders.

• Members

I have the Tonerider Hot Classics in my Mexican Telecaster.  Though they sound great and very legit-Telecaster, I would like a little more meat in there, even if it means sacrificing some of that classic Tele sound.  The two sets I'm looking at the most are the Duncan Quarter Pound for Tele, and the Duncan Hot for Tele. 

Anybody using/used those and have any thoughts?  I would prefer that they still sound decent while clean, but I definitely want more output and girth overall.

• Members

They sound nice and all, but not aggressive enough for my taste, I guess.  I thought about running an EQ on the board to compensate, but my board is already packed and I don't really feel like jamming anything else on there. 

A while back I had a Highway One Texas Telecaster, and that definitely had some hotter/beefier pickups, and even the stock Mex pickups in this Tele were hotter than these Toneriders.  I dug the sound of both, but the big drawback was no RWRP for hum-canceling in the mid position.  So I'm hoping there's something out there that hits all the marks. 

Thanks for the suggestion, though!

• Members

No worries man.  I'm not much help on the pickup suggestions, as I tend to prefer low output neck SCs and then HBs at the bridge.

What does Christian use in his Tele/Esquire guitar?  I'm sure he once told me it was a super high output single coil from GFS.  Whatever it is, he swears by it.

• Members

El Gallo Negro wrote:

Well, without exactly being able to explain why, I ordered a set of the Dirty Harry Tele pickups from Rio Grande.  I will let you gentlemen know how it goes.

Thanks for the input, everybody.  Together, we can restore this forum to greatness.  Behlee dat.

Right on!  I think you will enjoy the Rio Grande's.  I just Esquire'd my tele and my Muy Grande bridge pickup sound incredible.  I've had my Rio Grande set in my Tele for the better part of the past ten years.  I'd love to hear what you think of the Dirty Harry's. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Initial report on the Dirty Harry set is good-- definitely has more girth and low end than before, although not a whole lot more overall volume.  The P90's in my thinline are much louder in comparison.  I attribute some of that to the fact that the thinline is significantly louder and fuller even unplugged, though, so these Rio's are probably quite hot.  

They are dark, which I normally like, but I would like to have a bit more treble available when I want it, so here's a question:

If I go from a 250k pot to a 500k pot, will I lose (apparent) low end in addition to gaining treble, or will I only gain treble?  I don't want to lose the meat of the low end that I have now, but a bit more treble would be welcome.

Archived