Palmer Fat 50 Amplifier

wiklund87

• Members

308_palmer_audio_pfat501_1.jpg

Play'd this one through a Simon Neil(Biffy Clyro) Stratocaster today... and I really dug both the amp and the guitar! The owner at the store said he think Palmer got inspired by Mesa, but I can't really tell since I haven't played a lot of Mesa amps... atm I'm fine with my night train, but if I ever go for a 2 channal amp I'll probably get the head:

308_Palmer_Audio_Palmer_Fat_50_Head_1.jp

Anyone else tried these?

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Play'd this one through a Simon Neil(Biffy Clyro) Stratocaster today... and I really dug both the amp and the guitar! The owner at the store said he think Palmer got inspired by Mesa, but I can't really tell since I haven't played a lot of Mesa amps...

Anyone else tried these?

A bit of history, Palmer has been in the business since about 30 years. In the early 80's they started building hand wired all tube amps in Germany, close to Frankfurt. At the time their amp were the best money could buy, would easily blow away all Mesa's Marshall's and what have you. All local studio guitarists had to have one and swore by them. So Palmer wasn't really inspired by Mesa, they kicked their ass from the start. Later Palmer switched to producing high quailty rack helpers, like the first ever well sounding speaker emulators, DI boxes and lots of useful stomp boxes.

At the time I couldn't afford any of their Amps and later after they stopped producing them I couldn't find anyone who would let go of one.

Now that they are building them again, I certainly want to try one, but haven't found a store that has them around where I live now.

The only test of them I found online was from a German Guitar magazine. You can find the link to the article on the german thomann cyberstore page:

http://www.thomann.de/de/prod_review_21030_AR_248648.html

Title of the article is "Love at first sight..."

To translate the key points: Looks a bit low key but is of high quality build and sounds absolutely fantastic and has a very wide range of sounds. They claim it can easily compete with anything california made, which usually costs 3 times as much.

Am very tempted to buy one, although I have a Blackstar HT5 and my neighbors already hate me for having it, even despite the 5W :cool:

Maybe my babble helps your decision making process...

• Members

I had no idea Palmer made amps. This is exciting news to me. I've been using a Palmer Speaker Simulator in my home studio for years and it's an amazing peice of high quality analog gear.

50 watts is a little more power than I need, but I'm going to be paying attention to what's coming from Palmer for now on.

btw, I just looked around online, I don't see anyone selling Palmer guitar amps in the U.S....yet.

• 2 years later...
  • Members

Hi, I sell Palmer amps.  I'm getting a head in in about a month at Jimooskie Guitars, based out of Modesto, CA (www.jimooskie.com).  I'm an online guitar/bass shop, but I like to order equipment every so often to give my products a test run.  I play in a hard rock band, so when the amp comes in, I'm going to give her a live try. Then I'll post a vid demo on my site.  Since it'll be a demo amp at that point, I may be able to offer a very competitve price.  What I've heard about the amp is that it's quite solid and very loud.  As far as price, it's reasonable while attaining boutique-amp tones.  I understand that it doesn't have a direct line out, which is a bit of a drag.  Just throw a 57 in fron of the cab, right?  Anyway, I'll let you know how it sounds...

Archived