X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Do-It-Yourself IKEA Pedalboard Build Thread

Well, after several weeks of hard work, I've finally finished my first pedalboard and I thought it was time to start a build thread to show what I've been up to in my spare time. I decided to base my first DIY pedalboard on the well-known IKEA GORM design (who comes up with these names?). So I headed out to the local IKEA in Renton, WA and paid $4.00 for a GORM shelf and another $4.00 for two side boards. The dimensions of this thing are just slightly larger than a PedalTrain Jr.

Here's the initial layout I had in mind. I used some paper cutouts for pedals I hadn't bought yet.

<div class="signaturecontainer"><font size="2"><b><u>Gear &amp; Stuff</u></b><br />
    <br />
    Captain in the <font color="Sienna"><b>SG <font color="Green">A</font>r<font color="DarkGreen">m</font>y</b></font>, 101st Airborne Division<br />
    Honorary Mention on bassesofalessergod's <b>&quot;a list of jerks&quot;</b>, 4/17/07<br />
    Proud owner of The Legendary <b><font color="DarkOrange">Orange</font></b> <a href="http://tinyurl.com/IkeaGorm" target="_blank">IKEA Gorm Pedalboard</a><br />
    </font></div>

A friend of mine at work used his table saw to cut the side boards to size.

<div class="signaturecontainer"><font size="2"><b><u>Gear &amp; Stuff</u></b><br />
    <br />
    Captain in the <font color="Sienna"><b>SG <font color="Green">A</font>r<font color="DarkGreen">m</font>y</b></font>, 101st Airborne Division<br />
    Honorary Mention on bassesofalessergod's <b>&quot;a list of jerks&quot;</b>, 4/17/07<br />
    Proud owner of The Legendary <b><font color="DarkOrange">Orange</font></b> <a href="http://tinyurl.com/IkeaGorm" target="_blank">IKEA Gorm Pedalboard</a><br />
    </font></div>

Comment

I marked the location for some screw holes so I could use the original iron bolts to hold this thing together.

<br />
      </font></div>

Comment

I decided to go with a bright orange spray paint finish for this pedalboard to match it up with my Orange Tiny Terror and my orange-Tolex covered Avatar 1x12 cab. It's an acquired taste, but I like it. I pre-sprayed the areas where the iron bolts would go (along with 4 thick washers) so I could install these pieces when I glued everything together, and then mask off the black bolts when it was time to start painting.

<br />
        </font></div>

Comment

On one of the rare sunny weekend days in Seattle, I managed to spray the top and back of the board before the sky turned black. The semi-circular cutouts you see are for the thin but quarter-shaped round 1/4" connectors I decided to use for cabling. I made three cutouts, with the one at the top extra deep because of the narrower gap at the top of the board

<br />
          </font></div>

Comment

You can see the masked-off bolts in this photo.

<br />
            </font></div>

Comment

Here's my first test fitting after applying the paint. It looks good (and by now, I'm only waiting on my KORG Pitchblack as the BOSS FS-5U has arrived).

<br />
              </font></div>

Comment

Now it started raining and I was unable to finish painting the underside for nearly a week. This left me with a lot of time on my hands. After playing with the pedals on the board, it looked like the bottom board was flexing a little so I decided to add a stabilizing board to the center of the pedalboard. Here I'm attaching the fitted stabilizer to the underside of the board with some Gorilla glue and some giant bolts and a jar of jelly for some weight.

Adding this stabilizer introduced a major design flaw (Design Flaw #1) into my board. Can you see what the problem is? If not, you'll find out later.

<br />
                </font></div>

Comment

Finally! The sun peaked out long enough one morning (a Tuesday or Wednesday, I think) for me to quickly do the underside. I needed a 30 minute window, and Mother Nature gave me 35 minutes before the rain started up again.

<br />
                  </font></div>

Comment

Later that night, I decided to get started putting Velcro on all my pedals. Here I am applying the plasticky/hook side to the bottom of my pedals. But then...I started thinking: "Hummm, should I be using the hook side or the soft/fuzzy side for the pedals?" I started a thread on HCEF and was told that the hook side is the conventional side. But then some folks said that with the soft side, I'd be able to take my pedals off and use them on tables or floors without scratching things up. Also, all my BOSS pedals had really bumpy bottoms and the soft Velcro side seemed like it would fit better.

So, reluctantly I ripped off all the hook side Velcro from my pedals (Design Flaw #2) and started over.

<br />
                    </font></div>

Comment

Looks great, man. Not a huge fan of the color, but the build looks fantastic. :thu:
                      <div class="signaturecontainer"><b>Excellent transactions with</b>:<br />
                      sonaboy, VoodooChild24, (((echo))), jimihalen, jmgruber, phishmarisol, Dead Skunk, Barnaby, Hardly, Beatles-1964, echoic_memory, inang, blackjack davey, IRG, Mr. Twang, hangwire (x2), TJ000, Last Nerve, NITEFLY182, theweight, ChuckNorris1982, ClickyClique, stratedge09.</div>

Comment

After that, I put the hook side Velcro on to the board. Even though this is the unconventional way to do it, I was happy that I decided to do things the way I did. Cutting the Velcro was really easy on my rubber cutting board using a metal ruler with both inches and centimeters. I also bought a box of 100 single-edge razors for less than $7.00 and I made sure to use new blades frequently.

<br />
                        </font></div>

Comment

After that, it was time for another test fitting. Now at least my pedals can defy gravity if I turn the board upside down!

<br />
                          </font></div>

Comment

So: back to Design Flaw #1. Remember those cutouts I made early on? I did this because of the thin but wide format of the connectors I decided to use. Here are some close-ups of me showing how to insert a connector through the cutouts.

<br />
                            </font></div>

Comment

Nice work man.:thu:

I bought a couch at the renton ikea last week (live in redmond) and that led to me not posting any new ___ day threads recently.:cry:

I'd like to see the whole rig pic when you're complete.
                              Good deals with: Primo, Hecticone, Bluehuricane (X2), TomCray, Used666, Dettlebach, Tolling_Bells, Cleverbastid, machine gunner, shooto, 2deaconblues, Easyliver, Maxisnotdead, brokenarrow5, Drasp, Viper Jazz, the.bjorndahl, dkhp124

Comment

Working...
                              X