I really just want an M9..

• Members

So, I've been without pedals for quite awhile now. I know I want to build a board back up, but I can never set my mind on what exactly I want. Really though, the more I think about it, the more I just want an M9 haha. I loved my last one. I know there are some alternatives on the market at the moment too, the Zoom I believe is the main one. Anyone used them both? Whats the verdict?

Heres my old m9 setup

m9

mmmmm9999

• Members

I bought an M9 recently and I am not using it because it is really not very good. Cheap sounding effects, volume spikes and drops with no master volume plus 3 effects is just not enough. Compared to my pedals the m9 sounds cheap.

• Members

I'm telling you Travis. It's all about the M9 + expression pedal. It can't be beat at the moment.

Sure, the effects aren't the greatest but they're all there and its laid out conveniently enough that sacrificing whatever sought after super high quality sound doesnt really matter much, they're just your effects. Good to go.

So unless something else comes out that sounds better and is more intuitive, the M9 is it. $250ish used on the market aye aye?

• Members

ChuckNorris1982 wrote:

To add to that, I know you're a man who appreciated reverb. As am I. Well, the reverbs in the g3x are straight up dog{censored}. Unusable to me, in fact. It does have some nice delays though.

This is something I wanted to hear, thank you! I remember some of the M9 verbs to be pretty awesome, 63 spring iirc was great. 

• Members

i don't have any volume drop issues or "tone loss".

some of the synths are actually obnoxiously loud.

there are delays that are a little tricky to get the mix right, but i think the "latest" patch fixes that. haven't done it yet myself!

TomVanDeven wrote:

FWIW, I have no trouble with M9 headroom/volume dropping/tone degradation. Maybe I'm just not picky enough.

I'm pretty darned picky, and lack of headroom has never been an issue for me with the M9. With the DMM, sure... but not the M9.

For what it is, I think the M9's a pretty solid bit of kit. Is every onboard effect as good as the original? Hardly. :) But most of them are at least "useable", and some are actually quite good. For a compact, grab & go unit, a supplement to other pedals, or for a inexpensive multieffect that can give an entry-level player a solid introduction to a wide variety of different effects, the M9's tough to beat.

And yes, unless you have at least one expression pedal to use with it, you're missing out on half the fun. :)

Archived