Can you tell the Dumble from the Line 6?

BG76

• Members

I found this video I did a while back. I played Politician through two different amps, a Dumble Combo and a Line 6 Flextone. I did one take and recorded both at the same time. One is panned hard left the other hard right then I switched between them when it was done. They were isolated so there is no processing/bleed.

Don't knock the playing, I never bothered to learn Politician, but it seemed like the best song to use for this. Just judge the Tonez.

• Members

The quieter one (left) has some of the signature timbral bloom (toan).  The louder, right one is not so pronounced (lol) in those subtleties but seems to have the same vibe as the other. If I had to guess, I'd say the left one but I don't know.

As to your playing, The Dumble's magic is in the response to picking dynamics and signal level. The demo is "generic rockin' " and doesn't go there.

• Members

Would be much easier to say if the recording wsn't panned. One of your ears is stronger than the other at detecting harmonics and, reguardlesss, they both hear a bit differently.

I would guess the one on the left, though. Hard to tell with this recording.

• Members

BG76 wrote:

101gear generic rocking, I like that Lol

I did the panning so it would be easy to tell when things swotched

Ok, it's good playing and generically authentic. So it's not like you didn't feed the right side. I still llike the left side - there was even some sort of feedback. Which is it?

• Members

Just to muddy the watters a little more here is a Line 6 tiny POD with the Dumble Firmware Mod installed. It models the electrons in a crystal latice (which can not survive in a solid state amp) and really sounds great.

Sadly, this was never released after Dr. D developed it but it works on any Pod 2.0 or higher. The clicky sounds are clipping the camcorder because I did this in my rec room.

This is with the backing track:

• Members

BG76 wrote:

I found this video I did a while back. I played Politician through two different amps, a Dumble Combo and a Line 6 Flextone. I did one take and recorded both at the same time. One is panned hard left the other hard right then I switched between them when it was done. They were isolated so there is no processing/bleed.

Don't knock the playing, I never bothered to learn Politician, but it seemed like the best song to use for this. Just judge the Tonez.

OK, so we've all guessed. Now tell us which is which.

• Members

PKTrono wrote:

presented with a dumble amplifier and a line 6 amplifier, i could probably tell which is which just by looking at them

not sure i could.  

and i agree with bob, the dumble sounds best.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived