Effects on recordings

I'm not so much looking for stuff where an effect was used here or there, but where the effect is on prominent display in the song; nearly a "hook" in its own right.

For example:

Tommy James & The Shondells - Crimson and Clover (for the extensive use of tremolo... bonus points for the fuzzed out solo, wah wah, etc.)

The Small Faces - Itchycoo Park (semi-early recorded example of flanging - comes in at about 0:50)

Sweet - Love Is Like Oxygen (auto panning at 3:21)

Okay, admittedly, the last two don't feature the effects as prominently as they are on the first example, but that's where you guys come in. :) What are some of your favorite songs that have used effects in a significant / dramatic way?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Phil O'Keefe wrote:

I'm not so much looking for stuff where an effect was used here or there, but where the effect is on prominent display in the song; nearly a "hook" in its own right.

For example:

Tommy James & The Shondells - Crimson and Clover (for the extensive use of tremolo... bonus points for the fuzzed out solo, wah wah, etc.)

Ah, the song that got me into effects! 

I guess I'll have to go with an obvious, but classic. The reverse reverb of Loveless.

• Members

Ted Nugent:  "catch that fever"  effect used distortion.

Judas Priestly:  nother thing coming,  effect used distortion  dig the solo

ACDC  :  TNT iam dynomite, effect used distortion

I just ran across something while listening to my iTunes library on shuffle. It's my attempt at a pseudo-dub remix of a track I recorded with a band called the Sedans. It's called "Prince Philla-Dilla's* Liplock Dub", and it's got quite a bit of effects on it... 

(*Philla-Dilla is a nickname Bruce Swedien gave me. He never calls me "Phil." :o )

Archived