No announcement yet.

Effects on recordings

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Effects on recordings

I'm not so much looking for stuff where an effect was used here or there, but where the effect is on prominent display in the song; nearly a "hook" in its own right.

For example:

Tommy James & The Shondells - Crimson and Clover (for the extensive use of tremolo... bonus points for the fuzzed out solo, wah wah, etc.)

The Small Faces - Itchycoo Park (semi-early recorded example of flanging - comes in at about 0:50)

Sweet - Love Is Like Oxygen (auto panning at 3:21)

Okay, admittedly, the last two don't feature the effects as prominently as they are on the first example, but that's where you guys come in. What are some of your favorite songs that have used effects in a significant / dramatic way?

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

- George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

- Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

- Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Its a Beautiful Day:: Wasted Union Blues

The intro has one of the most forceful uses of tape-flanging I can think of.

@ 0:50 and  again @ about 1:48 ... plus a bit more around 33

Blind Doc Jones' Pickles....Cures What Ails Ya

Comment

• lefort_1
      lefort_1 commented
      Editing a comment

Reverse tape and echo/oscillations:

White Noise/ David Vorhaus

Just listen to the entire An Electric Storm album....a true masterpiece in soundeffectisms.

i like this one:

the whole monster album has nice usage of guitar efx i think

Comment

• goodhonk
      goodhonk commented
      Editing a comment

Comment

• BG76
      BG76 commented
      Editing a comment

Always liked the phasing on Peg.

Donavan - Hurdy Gurdy Man?

we could be dangerous: art, as a real threat

Comment

Phil O'Keefe wrote:

I'm not so much looking for stuff where an effect was used here or there, but where the effect is on prominent display in the song; nearly a "hook" in its own right.

For example:

Tommy James & The Shondells - Crimson and Clover (for the extensive use of tremolo... bonus points for the fuzzed out solo, wah wah, etc.)

Ah, the song that got me into effects! 

I guess I'll have to go with an obvious, but classic. The reverse reverb of Loveless.

http://lazarusband.bandcamp.com/

Comment

• alien
        alien commented
        Editing a comment

Ted Nugent:  "catch that fever"  effect used distortion.

Judas Priestly:  nother thing coming,  effect used distortion  dig the solo

ACDC  :  TNT iam dynomite, effect used distortion

hahaha
      soundcloud.com/nonlocality
      nonlocality.bandcamp.com

Comment

• Phil O'Keefe
        Phil O'Keefe commented
        Editing a comment

Someone likes distortion. In fact, don't we all? It's not quite what I had in mind, but that's okay. Have I told you guys lately that I love you? :heart: You've come up with some great examples!

A couple featuring the mighty Mutron III autowah:

Skip to 18 to avoid a bunch of tuning up.

Mutron on lead, phase on rhythm:

Comment

• blueboxer
        blueboxer commented
        Editing a comment

Guitars: LsL T-bone|Gibson 62ri SG|Martin D-18
      Pedals: |DiamondComp|Whammy DaVe|Pitch black|Naga Viper|Hotcake|DMM|RRR|
      Amp: Vox AC15HW1x

Comment

• gae86
        gae86 commented
        Editing a comment

Probably that's not the best example of "prominent" for the whole song, but the solo is one of the best example ever of the auto wah

This one for the mutron bi-phase:

TReMoLo:

Comment

Jet Bycraft Lead Guitarist

Comment

• Phil O'Keefe
          Phil O'Keefe commented
          Editing a comment

Oooh - good call on the Robin Trower!

dat flange

edit: I grew my first ring in 76

Comment

I just ran across something while listening to my iTunes library on shuffle. It's my attempt at a pseudo-dub remix of a track I recorded with a band called the Sedans. It's called "Prince Philla-Dilla's* Liplock Dub", and it's got quite a bit of effects on it... 

(*Philla-Dilla is a nickname Bruce Swedien gave me. He never calls me "Phil." )

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

- George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

- Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

- Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

• riff ie
            riff ie commented
            Editing a comment

don't ask why, but damn Phil, that jam makes' me wanna break out the green ringer and endulge in the purple till wheels fall off...good lookin' yo...

"Love is Like Oxygen" was probably my most favorite song as a kid. I must have listened to it 500 times! Doesn't Prince's "Raspberry Beret" have a pretty overt use of octave fuzz in the intro solo?

Comment

• lefort_1
            lefort_1 commented
            Editing a comment

For appropriate use of: The Human Voice, i humbely nonminate the former Cat Stevens,

Yusef Islam.

Jet Bycraft Lead Guitarist

Comment

Working...
          X