NGD fender

goodhonk wrote:

i was told it's an avri '62, don't know how to verify that.  

anyway, i like it.   fiesta red, kinda orange, kinda pink.  plays great.  sounds good too.

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh141/goodhonk/5B6385D0-04FC-4E04-8C2F-381FB368A3DF-15862-00001EDFF1EB004B\_zps4f5ab258.jpg

There's a few ways we can confirm that for you if you really want to know.

First of all, the serial number should be on the neck plate, and it should start with the letter V. Secondly, the neck date will most likely be in pencil, and will be somewhere between 1982 and the present... with a gap for most of '85.They did start using stamped neck dates on some of the later 80s era guitars, and occasionally in the 90s, but pencil was also used at various points too. Decyphering neck stamps and markings is practically an art form, and if you can take a pic, I might be able to help...

'82-'84 were made in Fullerton, '85-'86 were made in Corona, but largely from leftover Fullerton parts. After that, it's all Corona. 

There are some variations in the pickups in different years - red bottoms, grey bottoms, and black bottoms, and there may be numbers written or stamped on them, which can help date the guitar... don't forget the pot codes too - they can help nail down the year.

The 12th fret dot spacing is also a key indicator. Fullerton and early Corona built necks have the dots spaced closer together than the vintage models did, and than '98 and later reissues. All the MIJ stuff has the more vintage correct "wide" dot spacing, so if it says '85 or something like that on the neck date, and the 12th fret inlays are widely spaced (it's kind of hard to tell from your pic due to the way the guitar is angled), it would be a MIJ, not AVRI. 

Can you post more pics? It looks like a beautiful guitar. I've always liked red Strats. Cool score honk!

• Members

Oh man... There is one that looks just like that hanging in a Vintage Guitar shop by my house called Fretware. It's an original 1963 Strat and its as beautiful as it is EXPENSIVE. Nice score!

Archived