Do I want a Fender silverface Vibrolux or a Super Reverb [reissue, silverface, or 60s blackface)?

hangwire

• Members

5 watt difference

2 more 10s

right now i could get an early 70 vibrolux or a 64 - 69 [cant exactly remember] blackface super reverb for about the same price [vibro cheaper] ... or look for a cheaper reissue super reverb or a little cheaper silverface super reverb?

• Members

Super Reverbs switched from blackface to silverface in 67-68 I believe, if you can get a real deal blackface vintage super, I'd hit it in a heartbeat. Though you can't go wrong with either of those amps.

• Members

hangwire wrote:

5 watt difference

2 more 10s

right now i could get an early 70 vibrolux or a 64 - 69 [cant exactly remember] blackface super reverb for about the same price [vibro cheaper] ... or look for a cheaper reissue super reverb or a little cheaper silverface super reverb?

I had a similar dilemma recently--trying to choose between a vibrolux and a super--went with a 68/69 Super Reverb (drip edge).  It has silver face looks but still has the blackface circuit.  I love it.  I still can't believe how much more I like the sound of that compared to my old hot rod deluxe.

• Members

Maybe it was the past brown ones- my friend still has one i should take a trip out by him and clarify.

And yes the "twin" aka fender 4 input system typically has 1 channel/side without effects... But on the reissued vibrolux the sides are voiced differently (again based off the brown 90s reissue memory)

• Members

My first good amp was a drip edge Vibrolux. I have it and it still sounds great. I have a ton of amplifiers (old Fender, Marshall, Vox, etc... new Soldano, Fuchs, Mesa, /13, Bogner, etc....) and have owned a Dumble.

All those sound different but the Vibrolux is a great amp if you're playing out or at home. I always liked them a lot better then Deluxe Reverbs and Super Reverbs are a PITA to move IMHO when you compare them.

Some of the SF ones are actually BF models (the one I have is but I forget what the model number of those is). THat is what I would look for. YMMV.

Archived