Best Boss ODs/Distortions

• Members

I really like Boss dirt pedals. The HM-2 is my favorite because I'm a Swervedriver nut, but I also really like the SD-2 (great raw and saturated overdrive sounds), the BD-2 and the OD-2r.

Also I had an XT-2 once, that I thought sounded great for pop punk stuff, but I'm thinking maybe it was modded, because every other XT-2 description I've read on the internet is completely different from my experience. It didn't sound harsh or thin to me at all.

I'd probably say the OD-1 and the SD-1, especially the earlier versions. They offer a nice alternative to the typical TS type overdrive - a bit more gutsy. The DS-1 is a pedal that gets mocked a great deal, but it's been in production so long now that it's a classic too - it almost seems like nearly everyone's owned one at one time or another -  I just wish it was a bit more three-dimensional and dynamic.

• Members

Phil O'Keefe wrote:

I'd probably say the OD-1 and the SD-1, especially the earlier versions. They offer a nice alternative to the typical TS type overdrive - a bit more gutsy. The DS-1 is a pedal that gets mocked a great deal, but it's been in production so long now that it's a classic too - it almost seems like nearly everyone's owned one at one time or another -  I just wish it was a bit more three-dimensional and dynamic.

At least it'll let you palm mute and you won't fall out of the mix. ;)

• Members

I love the SD-1 / BD-2 combo - pretty much covers all my needs.  SD-1 running with just slight grit, kinda like a Timmy, then a birt more dirt in the BD-2, which is really touch-sensitive.  They are great individually and stacked together.

Boss board.jpg

I'm eager to check out the OD-3 too, I hear nothing but good things about it.

• Members

I think I tried all of them, with only like one or two exceptions that I know of. None of them flatout sucked, except maybe for the DS-1, which imo is somewhat redundant now with all the super cheap dirt peds out there that outperform it. I'll take some Mooer clone, a bad monkey, a hardwire dort ped, etc, over a DS-1 any day. 

There's nothing spectacular about my old OD-1 either I guess, it just has a sort of middsy bluesy tone I like a lot more than that of a tubescreamer type of pedal. Works great in front of other dirt too, or a slightly dirty amp, which is what I use mine pretty much exclusively for. 

My favorite Boss dirt pedal however, isn't an od or dist, and it's not for the faint of heart. It's actually probably among my fav dirt peds ever, period. FZ-2. All sorts of awesome. Tried it next to the best superfuzz clones I could get my hands on. It's NOT a superfuzz, no matter what other reviews tell ya. It's superfuzz-ish, at best. It's more. It's like a superfuzz on a coctail of steroids and acid.

Another one I'd use as a paper weight rather than as a guitar effect: FZ-5. Other than that, it's all good. DS-2, FZ-3, BD-2, SD-1,... 

Archived