Digitech jamman stereo for triggering live samples?

symeboy

• Members

Does anyone do this? I'm led to believe that you can load it with wav files and scroll through them, then trigger the samples live. There is also a tempo switch you can tap along to that will stretch the sample to match the drummer (with no change in pitch). There is also a rhythm track that can send a metronome click to the drummer.

It takes all the boxes for me, almost sounds too good to be true! Does anyone use this unit to trigger samples? If so any problems? I wonder does the rhythm track have to be a preset click or can you load it with something else?

thanks for your input

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Does anyone do this? I'm led to believe that you can load it with wav files and scroll through them, then trigger the samples live. There is also a tempo switch you can tap along to that will stretch the sample to match the drummer (with no change in pitch). There is also a rhythm track that can send a metronome click to the drummer.

It takes all the boxes for me, almost sounds too good to be true! Does anyone use this unit to trigger samples? If so any problems? I wonder does the rhythm track have to be a preset click or can you load it with something else?

thanks for your input

- Yes, you can load it with samples although the software it comes with is pretty lame. It also have a regular stereo input so you can load it with clips from an MP3 player.

- You have 99 slots available and you can store them on a memory card.

- The click track can not be changed from the available presets. You basically select the tempo type (4/4, etc...)

- The stretching basically closes the loop when you record it at the right spot with the tempo you have set.

- The regular JamMan can do the same except it doesn't do stereo

• Members

I don't use it but according to the manual it's 3 switches....

Optional FS3X Footswitch

The optional FS3X Footswitch gives you hands-free control over loop

selection, tempo, and stop functions.

Mode Switch

This footswitch is used for immediately undoing and redoing the last

recorded overdub.

Down Switch

This footswitch is used to play the recorded phrase in reverse.

Up Switch

This footswitch can be used to set the tempo of a new loop or change the

tempo (Time Stretch) of a stored loop. Playback Tempo can be changed even

while the loop is playing using this footswitch

DV019_Jpg_Regular_156604_V.jpg

• Members

Great, still sounds very tempting. in what way is the software lame? I guess i would only be using it to move wav files from my computer to the Jamman. Are there any problems at all with the metronome (the rhythm track as its called on the jamman)? Given the choice it would be better to be able to record your own rhythm track in some circumstances (e.g. shout "one" "two" "three"... or whatever to give the drummer a cue)

thanks for the advice

• Members

Its entirely possible, however keeping said launched samples in time would be a pain in the arse. The drummer would have to play to a click, and you'd have to be pretty precise in your sample launching. But yes, its possible! I want to pick up a JamMan Solo + FSX3 for this very thing.

• Members

I don't use it but according to the manual it's 3 switches....

Optional FS3X Footswitch

The optional FS3X Footswitch gives you hands-free control over loop

selection, tempo, and stop functions.

Mode Switch

This footswitch is used for immediately undoing and redoing the last

recorded overdub.

Down Switch

This footswitch is used to play the recorded phrase in reverse.

Up Switch

This footswitch can be used to set the tempo of a new loop or change the

tempo (Time Stretch) of a stored loop. Playback Tempo can be changed even

while the loop is playing using this footswitch

DV019_Jpg_Regular_156604_V.jpg

Incredibly handy with this unit. But I hated the bulk and the idea of a bunch of cables laying around so I designed this below.

IMG_00311.jpg' alt='>'>

IMG_0032.jpg

• Members

Really? I thought that was one of the features, you tap a footswitch in time then it will play the sample at the tempo you set....

It quantizes the entire loop so it fits within a full measure, it is not going to go faster or slower necessarily, it just makes sure the loop doesn't end half way into a measure.

• Members

Great, still sounds very tempting. in what way is the software lame? I guess i would only be using it to move wav files from my computer to the Jamman. Are there any problems at all with the metronome (the rhythm track as its called on the jamman)? Given the choice it would be better to be able to record your own rhythm track in some circumstances (e.g. shout "one" "two" "three"... or whatever to give the drummer a cue)

thanks for the advice

It's (software) real "clunky" and freezes up from time to time when syncing a lot of waves. I use the JMS extensively, and I have to say, if you were to only use it as a live playback , meaning you had your loops ready in the memory, it is very reliable. I don't use it as a looper, I use it as a playback device for samples or phrases or complete waves. For that purpose, I am pleased.

• Members

Yeah it does time stretch apparently, its a new feature. It says in the manual....

"Once a loop phrase is recorded, you can change the playback tempo which speeds up

or slows down the playback of the phrase without changing its pitch (Time Stretch).

Time Stretching a loop is a very useful feature in case the band is playing slightly

slower or faster than normal or you just want to change the pace of a backing track

slightly. You can Time Stretch a loop while stopped or during playback"

Cool! :-)

• Members

Yeah it does time stretch apparently, its a new feature. It says in the manual....

"Once a loop phrase is recorded, you can change the playback tempo which speeds up

or slows down the playback of the phrase without changing its pitch (Time Stretch).

Time Stretching a loop is a very useful feature in case the band is playing slightly

slower or faster than normal or you just want to change the pace of a backing track

slightly. You can Time Stretch a loop while stopped or during playback"

Cool! :-)

Interesting. I'd like to see how well this works in an actual live setting though. Things always sound amazing on paper, but can suck balls in application. Colour me skeptical still!

• Members

Interesting. I'd like to see how well this works in an actual live setting though. Things always sound amazing on paper, but can suck balls in application. Colour me skeptical still!

Loopers have been doing that for a while. It's like time stretching in Acid Pro or Ableton Live only to a tap tempo on the pedal.

• Members

Loopers have been doing that for a while. It's like time stretching in Acid Pro or Ableton Live only to a tap tempo on the pedal.

But pinpointing the downbeat of the loop to be stretched and set as the anchor point for the tap, how does that work? How can the looper know where to stretch to match the time of the loop up with what you're doing to where it sounds natural? Let alone any gross digital artifacts that could be introduced by this happening. Again, I'd have to try it myself before I said "yeah man, its good to go".

• Members

But pinpointing the downbeat of the loop to be stretched and set as the anchor point for the tap, how does that work? How can the looper know where to stretch to match the time of the loop up with what you're doing to where it sounds natural? Let alone any gross digital artifacts that could be introduced by this happening. Again, I'd have to try it myself before I said "yeah man, its good to go".

You tap with one switch (built into the pedal) to get the tempo right and you engage the loop by holding down the switch (way way better with the add-on fsx3 as that lower switch on my box lets you engage on the spot). It stretches the loop to the bpm flawlessly and in micro seconds. You can also do it in real time where you tap the tempo, record the loop (say a rhythm guitar part) and hit play, it plays back the loop you just recorded to the bpm you tapped allowing you to play a lead over the loop you just created.

• Members

Even though you set the tempo to your drummer, the drummer will still need to sync to the looper once it's set. Otherwise the sync will drift further on each loop because it will never be exact and your drummer won't be exact either.

• Members

What about the click track signal going to the drummer, is it useful? Is it loud enough, will it cut through the racket? This is the only looper I know that has this feature, and it is a dealbreaker for me. Been toying with the idea of using samples live, I had a RC-2 which I tried at rehearsal but it didn't work very well. It is really critical that the drummer can hear a metronome beat or likewise.

• Members

What about the click track signal going to the drummer, is it useful? Is it loud enough, will it cut through the racket? This is the only looper I know that has this feature, and it is a dealbreaker for me. Been toying with the idea of using samples live, I had a RC-2 which I tried at rehearsal but it didn't work very well. It is really critical that the drummer can hear a metronome beat or likewise.

Can't you embed the beat in the clip you are uploading?

• Members

Even though you set the tempo to your drummer, the drummer will still need to sync to the looper once it's set. Otherwise the sync will drift further on each loop because it will never be exact and your drummer won't be exact either.

Yup, the jamman has a click which has its own separate output, but fwiw, I'm more sceptical about the ability for the drummer to hear the click track. Our drummer sings a bit so he needs some vox in his monitor plus guitars etc. If you put the click through the desk would he be able to hear it?

the other option would be headphones for the click, but then he would hear his monitor....

• Members

True which is why you can only really get away with it for a measure or two if you're lucky. You might be able to setup the stereo version to pan the click track (it has one) out only on one output so that the drummer could capture it in their monitors or headset? Ask Subs, he has one.

Archived