Compressors

A.P. Ryder

• Members

I've been using my Analogman CompROSSer for 13 years now, and recently got a ZVEX Instant Lo-Fi, which is also a great comp.  Because I've been so in love with the AM Comp, I've basically ignored compressors for the past dozen years.  They are becoming my new obsession ,in that I would like to try one or two more to add to the collection.  Any comp recommendations?  Like fuzz, I find compressors are quite addicting.

• Members

Barber Tone Press - great if you like blend options on comps.

Empress is the best - just playd a few minutes, but thats for real one of the finest compressors

EQD the Warden is intressting

yeah and the Wampler Ego Comp is not bad.

the Carl Martin Compressor/Limiter is a sleeper and great for the "always on without color squish" type of player. good tone quality! 

The Analogman already gives you the two most influential pedal compressor designs - the Ross / Dyna-Comp, and the Orange Squeezer. Those two designs (the Ross and the Dyna Comp are extremely close to each other design-wise) are the basis for tons of the compressor pedals you'll come across. IMO, there would be no real reason to seek out a Keeley or a Malekko compressor, because both of those are based on the Ross, and you already have a very good Ross type compressor.

For something a bit different, maybe consider the MI Effects Compressor. It's got tons of control, and it's a very cool sounding pedal. The Diamond compressor would be another good choice that isn't a Ross or Orange Squeezer clone.

Archived