A cool article by Craig - would love to hear what you think

• Members

I'm no neuroscientist, but statements like "the right hemisphere cannot count, and can only do simple additions up to about 20." makes me suspect the science behind this may not exactly be solid.

Seems a bit too simplistic. I've read a lot of these left brain/right brain studies were done on epilepsy patients who'd had the connection between the two sides cut to stop their seizures.

I haven't read the whole thing yet though, will finish doing so in the morning.

My understanding (quite limited as it is) is that if the corpus callosum (the structure that connects the two halves of the brain) is missing or damaged, it limits the communication between the two hemispheres. They both still function, but independently instead of interactively.

• Members

ambient wrote:

I'm no neuroscientist, but statements like "the right hemisphere cannot count, and can only do simple additions up to about 20." makes me suspect the science behind this may not exactly be solid.

When I had my stroke in 2009, the blood supply to the right hand side was shut off. I found that mental arithmetic and vocabulary skills went out the window and I had to relearn them to an extent until the damage had been repaired. The way I saw it was that the right side controlled the number relationships I had built up, not so much the hard calculation, but the number relationships we teach ourselves as we grow up, anything from multiplication tables to how to spell specific words. It also blew music out of the window for some time as the musical relationships I had developed through playing on a fretboard just weren't there for me. It took the best part of two years before I felt vaguely comfortable on guitar again. Interestingly for me, I've definitely become more left sided dominated. Musically I understand rhythms far more than before and have been messing around with more rhythmic forms of music compared to the stuff I did before. 

I very much agree with Craig's thoughts here:

"Technology allows us to do things that were never possible before. And maybe we were better off when they weren

Archived