Favorite Phaser Features?

Blakemore

• Members

thanks for this thread :thu:

i like both, but the most phasers with with just rate (speed) didnt worked for me... i prefer my phaser in front of the dirt. control over depth, volume and resonance is super cool to get the right "phase" sound with any of my dirt. on the other hand, i dig phase on cleans and need to compensate the output.

but i just use 3 of 10 possible settings/sounds if it comes to phase-sounds tbh... i would love a simple phaser that works.

I prefer a more fully-featured phaser over a single knob one. The Phase 45 / Phase 90 and the Small Stone, as cool as they are, never appealed to me as much as two (or more) knob phasers. I want rate and depth as a bare minimum... and resonance / feedback is also quite handy. Again, I'd rather have a Boss PH-1r than the slightly older PH-1, just because the 1r has the res knob.

• Members

Like pretty much all effect categories, (dirt, delay, reverb, etc.) phasers can have really unique voicings from model to model, no matter how they are set.

Whenever I try a new phaser, I always start by trying to set it as close to the sound of a Small Stone as much as possible as a sort of ground zero reference point, then I begin tweaking from there. Of all the phasers I own, none of them can really sound like a Small Stone except the Small Stone. But in working from the point of reference I begin to find the unique voice .

So really it isn't so much about features for me as it is about finding the unique sweet spots of each phaser, and how those voices can be applied to my songs most effectively.

But if I could add a feature set to every phaser?  I would add stereo phasing, stereo ins and outs, an effect loop, and CV input with options to control the rate, the depth, and to manually sweep the phaser.

Phasers I have?

Effectrode Phaseomatic Deluxe

Mu-Tron Phasor I

Morley Tel-Ray PFV

EHX Small Stone v1, v2, and v3

EHX Bad Stone (muff - sized enclosure)

EHX Bad Stone (treadle version)

EHX PolyPhase (DMM - sized enclosure)

EHX The Worm (DMM - sized enclosure)

EHX X0 The Worm

EHX The Wiggler

EHX Flanger Hoax

EHX XO Stereo PolyPhase

EHX Bi-Phase

• Members

I use Empress and Infinityphase the most and they very deep. Envelope, lets u no wen 2 get it down, Gain knob on Empress (at waist level for tweeking) often is very useful sitting in as Master Volume for my whole rig, exp control on mah biphase MAKES the biphase, along with its thin but 3D toans!

Archived