No announcement yet.

ahh is there aswitching system that

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ahh is there aswitching system that

allows the individule to alter the ohms of the signal in real time, idk. ie so your speaker "s" are 8 ohms yet stomp that switch down thar and now your @ 4 ohms, as i've have indulged in impedance mismatches w/ inspiring results...

changes come w/ the whether...

damn risky biz to do real time.

we all know what can happen if you run an amp into open-circuit...arcs/sparks, massive flyback transients and B++ voltage damage.

well, manymanymany switches function as : break=before-make . The circuit is momentarily open before contact is made and that's all it takes to OVpopahole in OT insulation, or strike an arc and carbon-streak your sockety goodness.

Yes, you can create make-before-break switches, and there are some out there. But your quality/reliability must be 100 percent. No errors allowed, cuz the failure mode is too dire.

You could do it, in a manner, by adding on a second dummy load, but expect that the apparent volume will jump, kick and do various other feets of gymnastyvolumeness. Or you just have a stomp that added a second cab without breaking the contact to the first. Maybe this is what you seek? 

Blind Doc Jones' Pickles....Cures What Ails Ya

Comment

• riff ie
      riff ie commented
      Editing a comment

lefort_1 wrote:

damn risky biz to do real time.

we all know what can happen if you run an amp into open-circuit...arcs/sparks, massive flyback transients and B++ voltage damage.

well, manymanymany switches function as : break=before-make . The circuit is momentarily open before contact is made and that's all it takes to OVpopahole in OT insulation, or strike an arc and carbon-streak your sockety goodness.

Yes, you can create make-before-break switches, and there are some out there. But your quality/reliability must be 100 percent. No errors allowed, cuz the failure mode is too dire.

You could do it, in a manner, by adding on a second dummy load, but expect that the apparent volume will jump, kick and do various other feets of gymnastyvolumeness. Or you just have a stomp that added a second cab without breaking the contact to the first. Maybe this is what you seek? 

goodlookin' Lefort, makes much more sense now...

Radial have an on-the-fly cab switcher:

http://www.tonebone.com/tb-cabbone.htm

Could use that to switch between a 4ohm cab and an 8ohm cab.

Good deals: Kayzer, ArrMatey, Clewsy, ozzuk1, mrclean77

Comment

• V
      V commented
      Editing a comment

Seems like a bad idea to me to change load suddenly like that. I'd imagine it would result in sudden spikes that your power amp would not appreciate.

• riff ie
      riff ie commented
      Editing a comment

Timmay! wrote:
      Radial have an on-the-fly cab switcher:

http://www.tonebone.com/tb-cabbone.htm

Could use that to switch between a 4ohm cab and an 8ohm cab.

thanx for the heads up...

hmm whats the musical reason you want to do that?

u switch from one gain pedal to the other to change the sound, ok

u switch from one amp to the other to change the sound, ok

but what is the musical effect u want to achieve, to switch from a 8ohm speaker to a 4 ohm speaker and vice versa if the amp would allow u so without plugin from one output to the other?

i don't mean as a stupid question, i'm really interested what your usecase is...

Comment

• Player99
      Player99 commented
      Editing a comment
      Do it!

• riff ie
      riff ie commented
      Editing a comment

t_e_l_e wrote:

hmm whats the musical reason you want to do that?

u switch from one gain pedal to the other to change the sound, ok

u switch from one amp to the other to change the sound, ok

but what is the musical effect u want to achieve, to switch from a 8ohm speaker to a 4 ohm speaker and vice versa if the amp would allow u so without plugin from one output to the other?

i don't mean as a stupid question, i'm really interested what your usecase is...

i dont know quite how to describe it as an effect more than at talking/tv levels 4ohm tap to 8ohm cab seems to be more defined musically ie it seems as if i'm hearing string seperation more articulately at these kinda levels...idk

Working...
X