JHS Morning Glory or Black Arts Black Forest?

uyotg

• Members

Help me choose? Seriously, I can't--I'm having trouble. I don't have great ears with this stuff and don't know what to look for most of the time. Some guidance could help "shatter the glass" and make their differences more evident to me... any thoughts on these two, one vs. the other?

I love the sound of these two. My understanding is that the Morning Glory is more transparent, so I assume it's more dependent on good gear. I like that the Black Forest sounds like a good overdrive on low gain settings and gets very fuzzy at high gains. I do like the fuller, meatier sounding highs of the JHS, but the Black Forest also seems to be able to get there somewhat, with more versatility in other areas. Well, that's what I can gather from these two. I also remember reading something about the Black Forest being based on the Colorsound fuzz, but I don't know what that means or what was great about that fuzz.

Well, while we're here, I'm actually demoing out the JHS Morning Glory, BAT Coven, and BAT Sarcophagus. I find myself not liking the Pharaoh sides or the LSTR much, but I could be using them wrong or not listening for the right things. I guess the Pharaoh is just me since I know how popular it is, but the LSTR? Any insightful observations on that?

• Members

It's not "just you" if you're not blown away by the Pharaoh fuzz. It's mosly just the huge hype, which makes some people forget that it's all a matter of personal style and taste, and that a handfull of electronic component won't inspire them to play or sound better, regardless of the raving comments they real online.

Not hating on BAT there btw. Fwiw, I think their pedals are exactly what boutique peds should be like: Somewhat affordable, slightly 'different', excellent build quality, and nice graphics:)

Had a LSTR and a Black Forest for a while, never messed with the JHS morning glory. The LSTR was like a better version of the Sovtek muff imo, but it still didn't do much for me. The Black forest sounded scratchy/thin/fizzy to me, pretty much like a better looking slitghtly tweaked true bypass DS-1. Which doesn't even have to be a bad thing if that's what your band/sound asks for. And again: To each their own, I'm sure there's A LOT of people who dissagree with me. 

I've never tried the colorsound fuzz the LST is supposed to be based on, so for all I know it's a killer copy or whatever. Don't worry too much about 'listening to the wrong things' or 'using it wrong'. You either like it or you don't, there's really little room for human error when it comes to a 4 knob fuzz pedal. There's no shame in disliking something that's generally regarded as the bees knees around here. 

• Members

Indeed, I know if I like something or don't like something, but it always helps to know why. Might help push me toward something I do like :smileysurprised: Case in point, I like harmonic-laden sounds, and I know enough about physics and music to know that they're called harmonics and what they are, so some asking around with that helped me find my Fairfield Circuitry Four Eyes. I love the resonance switch on that thing to death.

I ended up going with the Black Forest. I wish I could say why objectively; subjectively, it's just awesome to me.

• Members

U need to step on off tom. Fo rills. Come say that in person big man. Ooh look at thar big innermet bully call me names say im sad, now i am now hurted and im gunna tell ur dad ok? Where do they find these guise???? I think tom is that hair dreeser from NC??

• Members

I seriously can't even tell if you're trolling or if you're mentally challenged. What sane person gets so butthurt over someone's opinion on a silly distortion pedal? And what's with the moronic grammar shtick?

The phrases 'get a life' and 'grow up' get thrown around too often, but DAMN how they apply to you. 

I'm outa here, this isn't worth ruining the thread for even more. Plus, I'm ofcourse scared {censored}less, you're clearly a dangerous baddass.  

• Members

uyotg wrote:

Help me choose? Seriously, I can't--I'm having trouble. I don't have great ears with this stuff and don't know what to look for most of the time. Some guidance could help "shatter the glass" and make their differences more evident to me... any thoughts on these two, one vs. the other?

I love the sound of these two. My understanding is that the Morning Glory is more transparent, so I assume it's more dependent on good gear. I like that the Black Forest sounds like a good overdrive on low gain settings and gets very fuzzy at high gains. I do like the fuller, meatier sounding highs of the JHS, but the Black Forest also seems to be able to get there somewhat, with more versatility in other areas. Well, that's what I can gather from these two. I also remember reading something about the Black Forest being based on the Colorsound fuzz, but I don't know what that means or what was great about that fuzz.

Well, while we're here, I'm actually demoing out the JHS Morning Glory, BAT Coven, and BAT Sarcophagus. I find myself not liking the Pharaoh sides or the LSTR much, but I could be using them wrong or not listening for the right things. I guess the Pharaoh is just me since I know how popular it is, but the LSTR? Any insightful observations on that?

The Pharaoh shines at high volumes.   It definitely sound brittle and buzzy at low volumes but play it into a cranked up V4 and your brain will explode.

• Members

The Black Forest doesn't really do well with brighter amps. Sounds massive in my setup though. I like it for the low gain transparent OD tones but it does hogher gain very well too. My bassist is currently using mine and it has no loss of low end with it. I'm not sure about the Morning Glory since I have never played it. I will say this though. Mark from Black Arts is one of the coolest guys to deal with. I talked to him about getting a custom Ritual Fuzz on Wednesday, paid for it on Thursday, and had it on my doorstep friday morning. 

Archived