I Want A Firebird

npfrs

• Members

I used to have an early 80's  Burney VII. Really nice, but I never quite came to grips with the neck. It had some of the best mini-hums I've ever heard.

My Gibson NR '67 Firebird  w/P90's is, otoh, one of the few guitars that'll I'll never consider selling.

npfrs wrote:

But mostly for cleanish/folky music - discuss!

If you like the way the guitar sounds and plays, then I personally don't think there is any problem with using it for whatever style of music you are interested in playing. True, I can't imagine a lot of Country (or P&W ;) ) players opting for a BC Rich Bitch or Warlock - there are probably some audience expectations you need to consider... but Ted Nugent used a hollowbody for rock, Mike Stern and Ed Bickert used Telecasters to play Jazz, and Frank Reckard used a B-Bender equipped Les Paul Jr. to play Country with Emmylou Harris for years. I don't get too caught up with the whole "imaging" thing - if you like the way a Firebird plays, and the sound fits your musical vision, then that is all that really matters IMO.

• Members

Phil O'Keefe wrote:

npfrs wrote:

But mostly for cleanish/folky music - discuss!

If you like the way the guitar sounds and plays, then I personally don't think there is any problem with using it for whatever style of music you are interested in playing. True, I can't imagine a lot of Country (or P&W
;)
) players opting for a BC Rich Bitch or Warlock - there are probably some audience expectations you need to consider... but Ted Nugent used a hollowbody for rock, Mike Stern and Ed Bickert used Telecasters to play Jazz, and Frank Reckard used a B-Bender equipped Les Paul Jr. to play Country with Emmylou Harris for years. I don't get too caught up with the whole "imaging" thing - if you like the way a Firebird plays, and the sound fits your musical vision, then that

This has got me thinking about other examples of guitarist playing guitars that aren't necessarily the go-to for their style. Off the top of my head I thought Jeff Magnum using a P90 equipped hollowbody for NMH. Other than that, I'm open to more suggestions?

Archived