Spiderland

A.P. Ryder

• Members

After reading about Slint's "Spiderland" being the greatest thing since toast, I've been listening to it for the past few days.  Hmmm.  Is it like "Trout Mask Replica," in that you have to listen to it a few dozen times before it clicks.  I'm just not getting it (yet?). :smileysad:

What do you think of this album and why?

• Members

it set the stage for a lot of other bands, and I guess what came to be """"""called''''''' """""""""post-rock''''''''''''''

It is a good album. I saw them live a few years ago when they toured and they did Spiderland all the way through. It was perfect: the sound, execution.

• Members

Spiderland has been growing in popularity over the last 10 years. I would never have known about it if it weren't for the internet.

Amazing album from the first listen. If you don't like Breadcrumb Trail, Nosferatu Man, Washer and Good Morning Captain on the first listen, there's probably nothing there for you.

I think there's something to be said about the transformation of the band from the first album to the second as well as the time it was released.  The first one sounds a little like Big Black whereas the second one and the final ep have a much more original feel to them.

• Members

Spiderland gave me chills when I first heard it back in the 1990s. It was unlike anything I'd heard up to that point in my tiny life. It was one of those albums that opened a door to another room that you didn't know was there.

The problem with trying to "get" any album like that in retrospect is that when someone does something new, the newness is good enough on its own. Other bands have been inspired by that rough newness and honed and polished it into the all too familiar post-rock sound. Spiderland is now old enough to drink, and can appear rather primitive to someone who listens to it in the context of all that it inspired. Taken on its own, without expectation, I think the album holds up nicely. YMMV.

• Members

Yeah, I realize all of this.  Seems to be a defining album for people who are way younger than me.  I can latch onto bits and pieces that I can dig, but overall I am underwhelmed - for now.  I am going to keep at it and see if more things click for me.  I'm trying to take it as "just an album," but all of the accolades I've read about it seem to put pressure on me to "like" it more than I do.  Maybe I should just accept it for what it is to me - as just an album.  (Shrug).

• 2 weeks later...

Archived