The OFFICIAL Fender Blues Junior Lounge!!!

Crxsh

• Members

I realize that this is HCFX, but with Phil's permission I've decided to start a Blues Jr. lounge.

I'm sure there are a lot of Fender lovers in here, as well as guys who dig this little amp and would like to have a place for discussion on all the mods, upgrades and secrets of this amp.

So ... welcome!!

I hope this thread will become a resource for Blues Junior owners, as well as assist those with any questions they may have about this phenomenal amp.

413693.jpg.ACF1A7.jpg

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I guess I'll start off.

This is my beloved Fender Blues Jr. that I picked up on eBay from this guy out in Spokane, WA. He put
it into a custom Teak enclosure with an Oak base. The Oak is busted because he shipped it with the casters on (why would you put casters on this amp???) so I'm going to have to replace that, but this is EASILY one of the coolest Blues Jr.'s I've seen to date.

n161501268_31006543_8154.jpg

It came with several of the BillM mods including:

-Tone Stack Kit
-Twin Stack Kit
-Power Stiffening Resistor
-Metal Input Jack

I'm thinking about adding a few more of his mods, including:

-Bright Switch/Presence Control
-Reverb Kit
-Simple Adjustable Bias Kit

I'm also going to need to retube it (It's got the Fender Sovtek's in it) and replace the stock speaker.

That said, I'm wondering if anyone here has done the mods I'm thinking about and can tell me about them, and what tubes/replacement speakers are good for it?

I've heard good things about the Eminence Cannibus Rex & Texas Heat ... but I'd like to hear more from someone who has done this replacement.

• Members

i'm not sure about the reverb kit you're talking about but i'll share my experiences. i replaced my reverb tank with one made by ruby. i got it at mojo musical supply for $25 after hearing some people on the FDP talk about them. it made a big difference for not much money. the 'verb is more spacious and seems to dwell longer. i'd definitely recommend it and it's easy to change out.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Crxshdxmmy View Post
I guess I'll start off.

This is my beloved Fender Blues Jr. that I picked up on eBay from this guy out in Spokane, WA. He put
it into a custom Teak enclosure with an Oak base. The Oak is busted because he shipped it with the casters on (why would you put casters on this amp???) so I'm going to have to replace that, but this is EASILY one of the coolest Blues Jr.'s I've seen to date.

n161501268_31006543_8154.jpg

It came with several of the BillM mods including:

-Tone Stack Kit
-Twin Stack Kit
-Power Stiffening Resistor
-Metal Input Jack

I'm thinking about adding a few more of his mods, including:

-Bright Switch/Presence Control
-Reverb Kit
-Simple Adjustable Bias Kit

I'm also going to need to retube it (It's got the Fender Sovtek's in it) and replace the stock speaker.

That said, I'm wondering if anyone here has done the mods I'm thinking about and can tell me about them, and what tubes/replacement speakers are good for it?

I've heard good things about the Eminence Cannibus Rex & Texas Heat ... but I'd like to hear more from someone who has done this replacement.
That's a gorgeous looking guitar you got there. What is it?

Right now my BJ is being used as a speaker cab for my Mesa DC-10 until I can buy an avatar cab and get a warehouse greenback and an alnico blue in it. I've really considered modding the BJ though. I just wish it got louder.

• Members

Well, I figured I should post mine here as well. I love it! I've played countless amps, and I still love the tones I can get out of this little beast! I'm planning on buying an Orange Tiny Terror to get some more distorted sounds, though.

This is my Blues Junior:

img6382es3.jpg
13563634ac3.jpg
41239084xe1.jpg

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Crxshdxmmy View Post

That said, I'm wondering if anyone here has done the mods I'm thinking about and can tell me about them
I had the adjustable bias and presence mod done to mine. I didn't do extensive testing beforehand, so I can't tell the difference with the lower bias now. Longer tube life is good enough for me though. The presence mod really gives the amp a whole 'nother level of sounds. Very very useful. Tell me how the reverb switch goes if you do it. I'm looking to continue upgrading my amp even more.

Also, does anyone know a similar speaker to the stock one? See, I love the idea of changing the speaker out to get better sounds, but not necessarily different sounds. I love the way my BJr sounds now and don't want to waste a ton of money trying out different speakers.

Quote Originally Posted by star0nfire View Post
Well, I figured I should post mine here as well. I love it! I've played countless amps, and I still love the tones I can get out of this little beast! I'm planning on buying an Orange Tiny Terror to get some more distorted sounds, though.

This is my Blues Junior:

img6382es3.jpg
13563634ac3.jpg
41239084xe1.jpg
OOOOH! AAAAAAH! Phil-Thumbs-Up-Small.gif

Who did the cabinet work? VERY nice! cool.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Phil O'Keefe View Post
OOOOH! AAAAAAH! Phil-Thumbs-Up-Small.gif

Who did the cabinet work? VERY nice! cool.gif
I think thats a limited edition one by Fender themselves. I've seen a few about in Europe.

It looks fantastic ! love.gif

Crxshdxmmy, yours looks fantastic. - what guitar is that ?

So i take it the general concensus on these amps is good ?
I've been thinking of getting a smaller tube amp for myself and i've always wanted a fender anyways.

Are they loud ? - ie could you gig with one (miked obviously)
Can you get to the sweet spot at bedroom/house levels ? (ie, not too loud)

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Daryl Chaney View Post
Are they loud ? - ie could you gig with one (miked obviously)
Can you get to the sweet spot at bedroom/house levels ? (ie, not too loud)
They have a master volume which is nice so you can get great overdrive without the neighbors complaining

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by star0nfire View Post
It's a limited edition, I was very lucky to get one smile.gif

I'm thinking about replacing the speaker on it, not sure to which one, though.
Suggestions? smile.gif
the "fender special design jensen speaker" in my tweed version sounds so much better the speaker in my regular blues jr...it sounds a lil more "open"....where as the speaker in my black one tends to make the amp sound dark and very boxy....

• Members

I have a Weber Ceramic Blue Dog in mine, I also like the Weber 12F125 for use with any Fender amp love.gif

I'm sure a Celestion 25 watt Green Back would be a marked improvement over the OEM Eminence. The Jensen that comes in the tweed Limited Edition BJ's is a 100% improvement over the stock speaker...the Jensen I heard didn't quite have the bottom that I was use to in the Weber's, but I'm not sure it was broken in all the way yet either?

• Members

In the 35 years since I began playing, I think I've owned 75% of the amps Fender ever made (never had a Dual Showman, Bandmaster or any of the '50's tweeds). The blackface Twin and Deluxe are my two all-time favs, but the Twin is a load to lug these days for most of the gigs I play. I just got a Blues, Jr. a few months ago and it's become my go-to amp. I love it. I got the Blonde since I really like the retro look of old Fender blonde/oxblood/brown/tan amps.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by DonK

View Post

In the 35 years since I began playing, I think I've owned 75% of the amps Fender ever made (never had a Dual Showman, Bandmaster or any of the '50's tweeds). The blackface Twin and Deluxe are my two all-time favs, but the Twin is a load to lug these days for most of the gigs I play. I just got a Blues, Jr. a few months ago and it's become my go-to amp. I love it. I got the Blonde since I really like the retro look of old Fender blonde/oxblood/brown/tan amps.

So when I passed the joint to the left...you're the guy that took it? cool.gif

• Members

I picked up a fender blues junior this week! I haven't been able to really turn it up since the kids have been asleep when I come down to the basement.

I've been playing my fender g-dec for a while and wanted to hear some real tube tone. Oh I also just ordered an ibanez ts-808 by Robert Keeley mods, so I look forward to seeing how it all sounds.

Post some good settings for some SRV type sounds for the blues junior if you don't mind!

thanks!

Archived