Moog Little Phatty vs. Arturia Mini Brute vs. Something else

six acre lake

• Members

I have a Little Phatty Stage ll which sounds awesome but I have been considering something else... I dont know why... maybe because im an idiot. Kinda want a better arpeggiator... Do I sell the Little Phatty for something else or should I eat {censored} and die?

I really only favor the bass sounds

• Members

I have the minibrute. It's fun but different. Not the same filter as the moog. I don't know how the arpeggiators compare between the two, but the brute has a step sequencer mode in its arpeggiator.

Maybe keep the phatty and get a cp251 or a modular sequencer or something. There are plenty of ways to separate you from your cash.

• Members

I like your options SAL. You're and idiot, and eat {censored} and die.

The miniB isn't polyphony right? Little Phatty is ya? Maybe money in your pocket is just wanting to be used - happens all the time.

Maybe get something else? Nothing wrong with more synths..

• Members

I dont want a lot of synths. I have a midi controller and a bunch of NI (Massive, Absynth, FM8, Prophet8) I jusy want a small synth with a decent arpeggioiator that I can use live. Perhaps ill just keep the moog

Do you use the plugins/controller live or just the phatty? Maybe an external hardware arp for the phatty?

• Members

I am trying to make the same decision, Moog LP vs the Minibrute for bass in a live setting.

For those of you with experience, how does the LP do with bass? All the demos I have seen have that proggy "lead bass" thing going on, but I am looking for more of a fat, bottom-type bass.

As far as the Minibrute, all the demos have that razory sounding bass... can it get smoother and less gritty as well?

Interested in the opinions of those who have either of these synths.

Thanks.

• Members

if you want the best in bass that doesnt require a set of goofy organ pedals, get a moog source. it has an arpeggiator too. it's just ok though. kind of weird. the first few seconds of this video should be enough to sway you:

QaZofv6Xur0

• Members

I am trying to make the same decision, Moog LP vs the Minibrute for bass in a live setting.

For those of you with experience, how does the LP do with bass? All the demos I have seen have that proggy "lead bass" thing going on, but I am looking for more of a fat, bottom-type bass.

As far as the Minibrute, all the demos have that razory sounding bass... can it get smoother and less gritty as well?

Interested in the opinions of those who have either of these synths.

Thanks.

http://soundcloud.com/shoe-pedals/v-no-future

Everyone's favorite song about a schizophernic subway musician's encounter with a businessman.

The synths on this are all Slim Phatty. I like it for bass a lot. If you were only looking for bass, though, maybe the minitaur would be better.

• Members

i was gonna recommend the source too, or any small DCO synth from the 80s. Most aren't too hard to upkeep, the DCO is way more stable than an old vco. You could go the other way and get a toy. Like, the Roland Gaia, which is covered in knobs, runs on batteries, and sounds pretty good. I bet it's got a ton of arp, being digital.

God, that demo is sexy as {censored}. WAAAANT

• Members

I actually got a GAIA yesterday and it rocks while being very portable. The sounds are very fat, you can program 6 oscillators into your patch. The arpeggiator works great and I really like the keyboard. This Synth plays way better than others in the same price range. It will probably last a few years, Roland lol.

• Members

x4_top.jpg

1600-Minitaur_detail2.jpg

Ya herd.

Dave Smith Mopho, now with 4x polyphony. All analogue. Dude invented the Prophet, and essentially made synths as we know them today.

Minitaur is a Moog analog synth, with a focus on bass sounds.

Sell the Little Fatty and get both of these. Slut up.

• 9 months later...
  • Members

If you do with an ape get a VA synth such Roland Gaia, Novation or Korg R3, if you like woman (or boys if you like boys more :-) get an analog synth such Phatty, Rogue, Minibrute, Roland SH09/05, Yamaha CS-5, Korg MS10 etc, if you want sex with Playboy models get The Source, Prodigy, ARP Odyssey, Minimoog D...

• Members

ben_allison wrote:

x4_top.jpg1600-Minitaur_detail2.jpg
Ya herd. Dave Smith Mopho, now with 4x polyphony. All analogue. Dude invented the Prophet, and essentially made synths as we know them today. Minitaur is a Moog analog synth, with a focus on bass sounds. Sell the Little Fatty and get both of these. Slut up.

I can vouch for both the menitaur and the mopho x4.... if you have a really good midi controller, you might also consider a DSI tetra... which is like the mopho x4 only it's multi timberal meaning you can have 4 complete different voice sounds. 

only downside to the minitaur is the lack of presets, but I believe you can impliment them via midi if I'm not mistaken. 

Archived