Spring reverb on my Vox AC15C1

zinzin

• Members

beautiful amp but crap reverb: to long and i can't hear the springs going "boing-g-g-g-g". the reverb of my pathfinder 15r is way better, you really hear the springs.

i have the boss re-20 pedal but the reverb is not like i need it. i really need a "misirloud" kinda spring reverb.

sooo ... i wanted to upgrade the ac15 reverb with accutronics but are they good enough? i need to hear those springs. if anyone knows what the springs in the pathfinder 15r sounds like, that's it what i want to hear. or should i buy one of those spring reverb pedals? the cheaper option would be the accutronics ...

When it comes to reverb, the spring tank is only part of the equation. It is an important part, but I don't want to give you the impression that changing out the tank alone is always going to give you the results you're looking for. You can sometimes change the RT60 (reverb decay time) by swapping out a tank, but you need to make sure other aspects of the tank work with your amp, such as the input and output impedance. Not just any Accutronics tank will do!

Here's an article I did on unraveling the mysteries of amp reverb - you might find it interesting / helpful. Please let me know if you have any questions. :)

• Members

i already read that article a few months ago. decay time from a new acutronics tank would be shorter than the one in the ac15 c1, but i don't know it the springs would meet my desire for going "boing-g-g-g" ... i guess i have to find out.

• Members

Unfortunately, it's the reverb part of the circuit that sucks. Changing tanks will not really make it better either. It will always lack that pronounced "boing" and drip that the Fender reverbs have going on. The FRV-1 is a pretty solid pedal for that. Pretty bright if you don't mind that.

Honestly, I would get an RV-7. The spring is still about the best I've heard in a pedal and I'm pretty sure you could find one for the same price as an FRV-1.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the driver and recovery circuits for the reverb on the more recent (AC15c1 / AC15cc1) AC15's are solid state, as opposed to tube. And while I have not tried swapping a tank in my AC15cc1 (I don't particularly care for the reverb in my AC15 either), I suspected that the tank alone isn't the sole reason for the way the verb sounds on those amps.

As far as reverb pedals, there are two pedals that I really like - the Subdecay Spring Theory, and the Malekko Spring. The Spring is simplicity itself. If you're just looking for a great sounding spring reverb emulation in pedal format, it's a very good choice. The SubDecay is more expensive, but it also has a Room reverb mode in addition to the Spring mode. Both sound great - in fact, it's the coolest room reverb I think I've ever heard out of a pedal. Either one absolutely smokes the sound of an AC15cc1's stock reverb IMHO.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived