find me a compressor

strings4v

• Members

I am looking for a compressor that

1. is quiet enough so i don't have to worry about additional noise

2. serves as an excellent buffer since it is going on the first of the chain

3. has small footprint so i can put it on PT JR along with other pedals. (Diamond is quite large..)

One i came up with is VS Comp66. Something like Xotic SP comp will do the job either if i can find a good price.

What else is there?

strings4v wrote:

I am looking for a compressor that

1. is quiet enough so i don't have to worry about additional noise

2. serves as an excellent buffer since it is going on the first of the chain

3. has small footprint so i can put it on PT JR along with other pedals. (Diamond is quite large..)

One i came up with is VS Comp66. Something like Xotic SP comp will do the job either if i can find a good price.

What else is there?

All compressors accentuate noise to some degree - it's the nature of the beast. Compressors compress the dynamic range by lowering the level of signals that exceed a threshold... and due to that reduction of peak amplitude, "make up gain" is typically added to bring the apparent volume level back up. This brings the relative levels of quieter signals up - and that increases sustain... and increases the audibility of any noise in the signal. No matter what compressor you're using, the more compression you add, the more noise becomes apparent - even with high-dollar studio compressors. Of course, the relative amount of noise varies, depending on the design of the compressor as well as how you use it. 

If you're going to leave the compressor on all the time, then a buffer is a lot less important. If you're going to be bypassing it a lot, then that might be a consideration... but many popular compressor pedals are true bypass and lack a buffer. If the compressor you like the most lacks a buffer, you can always add a buffer as a second pedal... space permitting of course.

Although I've never tried one, the description I just read of the Xotic SP leads me to believe it's a basic Ross Compressor clone - a lot of popular compressors are based on the old Ross / Dynacomp designs. Another excellent small and great sounding Ross clone would be the Malekko Comp. It's a little less expensive than the Xotic SP too. If you click that link, it will take you to a review of that pedal that I wrote a while back. In the "compression caveats" section, I discuss a bit more about how compressors work and where that "noise" comes from. You may find it interesting reading.

• Members

This may not be a popular response, but I recently got the Joyo Compressor, which is supposed to be a clone of the Ross/MXR/Barber Tone Press. I really like it. I find it quiet. Not totally transparent, but I really like what it does. I keep it on all of the time. For $40, I don't think you can go wrong.

strings4v wrote:

I know it's quitr big but are BBE comps any good? Something like orange squash or opti comp... What are the differences?

I have not tried them myself, but a few people here have, and generally the reports about them were good. As far as the differences, I suspect it's two different compressor designs - one being an optical compressor (known for their gentle compression characteristics and relatively slow attack / release times), the other (possibly) being based on the Dan Armstrong Orange Squeezer, which would be a less "transparent" compressor with more emphasis on the note attacks. FWIW, I use a custom built Orange Squeezer clone made by OLC as my personal "go to" guitar compressor pedal, and I love that thing madly.

• Members

kidofthecorn wrote:

In short.... in my experience, nothing beats the Guyatone ST-2 in all departments OP mentiones... 
:smiley-eatdrink055:

Is it true bypass? I wish it has a little buffer in it.. but it is fine i still have a boss pedal in front of the chain. 

• Moderators

kidofthecorn wrote:

In short.... in my experience, nothing beats the Guyatone ST-2 in all departments OP mentiones... 
:smiley-eatdrink055:

I'm surprised to see someone else mention this pedal because it's not that popular. I've used one- and this isn't an exaggeration- on nearly every note I've played on an electric guitar since about 2004. I like it THAT much.

Even though it's not true bypass it's just a great great compressor. It does "natural" very well and it does "squished" very well. It's small, inexpensive, the controls are simple, it isn't noisy, it's a pleasant green color... I could go on. It's a great, little-known gem.

Archived