SOT: Fender London 185 Head

Crxsh

• Members

One of these popped up locally for $240 and I could probably get it for less... the reviews look good, but they're kinda limited as it's sorta rare I guess.

I'd want to play it first, but I'm trying to see if it's even worth my time.

Like this one:

42991600-fender-london-185.jpg

• Members

Do you have a 2nd cabinet?

The red knob Fender SS combos are decent for cleans and are pretty rock solid. My buddy has one (can't remember the model) that has been around for ages with no repairs. Can't speak for the heads directly but I imagine they are the same.

• Members

Do you have a 2nd cabinet?

The red knob Fender SS combos are decent for cleans and are pretty rock solid. My buddy has one (can't remember the model) that has been around for ages with no repairs. Can't speak for the heads directly but I imagine they are the same.

Yeah. I've got a 4x12 and a 2x12. I've been trying to get rid of the 4x12 for ages though.

• Members

Out of curiousity why has this amp sparked your interest?

No reason in particular .... I'm happy with what I've got, but this popped up locally and had a pretty good pricetag on it. Dude said he was open to most any trade (he's clearing out a few amps) and after looking into the reviews, it seemed interesting.

Only thing is .... If I was to get this, I'd probably not be able to get a bass for awhile...... so I'm not sure I'd want to do that.

• Members

I have a Pro 185 (same thing in an open-back 2x12 cab).

It is:

- Good clean

- OK distorted (with the caveat that there are some very, very bad sounds in there, but with some tweaking it's possible to get an OK distortion sound)(for referrence, my current favourite distortion sounds are SS pedal (OD3, '91 reissue big box rat, TS5) into small tube amp (Mesa Subway blues) which I do significantly prefer to the 185.

- Heavy (to carry) - not back-friendly at all (but that's the combo and it's got pretty hefty speakers in it)

- LOUD

- Pretty awful as a bass amp - I play bass and guitar, and spent many years without a bass amp - my Pro 185 was called in as a substitute on a few occastions when there was literally nothing else available. Obviously the open-back 2x12 guitar-voiced speakers don't help matters, but the eq is really voiced for guitar, and sounds terrible IMHO with bass. YMMV of course, especially with a bass cabinet. But then, why not buy a decent dedicated bass amp that's likely to sound good?

- Reliable (except the input jacks, which IME need replacing on all red-knob Fenders)

Steve

• 5 years later...
  • 7 years later...
  • Members

If you are asking about the Fender London 185 solid state amp head, I have owned one since 1992.  It's the best amp I've ever used.  Personally, I dislike tube amps so I was never a Marshall fan.  Also, Marshall is always incredibly overpriced for the quality they supposedly advertise.  One important note is that it also depends on the style of music that you play.  Unless you are looking for that classic metal reverb sound, this isn't the amp for you.  It is crisp and crunchy. Exactly why you would use a solid state amp in the first place.  Original list price that I paid was $450 in 1992.  If you can actually find one(they are pretty rare these days) for under $200, buy it.

Someone also asked about the footswitch.  Any Fender footswitch will work but the original footswitch that was included had 3 switches. Clean/Dirty, Boost and Reverb on/off. I don't remember what the exact model number is but they are out there. I replaced mine about 20 years ago and the replacement was $20 or something.  Check Musician's Friend maybe.

Archived