My Maxon CS-550 Annoyance

• Members

Hey guys,

Just wondering, I've got this Maxon CS-550 chorus pedal that I really dig the sound of, but it's got this volume jump problem that bugs me, and it's especially noticeable when playing it on a clean sound (when I use it, mostly). I've been trying to think of ways to solve it, from sticking it in a true-bypass looper with an EHX Signal Pad in front of it (:facepalm:), to finding someone who would be able to open it up and modify it for an output level knob. Besides the three main sound parameters it has a trimpot for the blend of the sound, which can aid in fixing this (turning the blend down cuts the volume drop down), however that totally messes up the deep, lush, shimmery sound that I love getting out of this thing with the blend dimed.

What to do... :confused:

• Members

Its not really a volume drop. To me your just drenching your tone in chorus, thus giving the illusion that there is a volume drop.

My phaser does the same thing, makes my clean tone sound softer. but with the blend at like 12 or 1 o clock there is none.

• Members

Nah, it's weird, it's a volume JUMP! I heard someone else in an HC review say it about the Maxon too.

I got it. It's an amazing pedal but there's a slight volume "jump" when on. Usually I dial back the volume on my guit when stomping on it.

• Members

There's an internal trimpot that controls input gain. Open it up and mess around with it.

Damn, I just went to open the pedal up today and I didn't have any luck. This pedal has the WEIRDEST screws I have ever seen, I think Maxon had them custom made just to ensure that people would not see the inside of the pedal... they're like a six-sided star (which I did have a match for in my tool kit), but with a protruding circular piece in the middle, which prevented my screwdriver from being able to hold the screw.

Not only that, but the manual doesn't mention anything about internal trimpots in any of the Vintage series pedals, so I don't even know what to tweak once I do get this pedal ripped open!

Why do they make it so hard... :facepalm:

• Members

Damn, I just went to open the pedal up today and I didn't have any luck. This pedal has the WEIRDEST screws I have ever seen, I think Maxon had them custom made just to ensure that people would not see the inside of the pedal... they're like a six-sided star (which I did have a match for in my tool kit), but with a protruding circular piece in the middle, which prevented my screwdriver from being able to hold the screw.

Not only that, but the manual doesn't mention anything about internal trimpots in any of the Vintage series pedals, so I don't even know what to tweak once I do get this pedal ripped open!

Why do they make it so hard...
:facepalm:

now that is an idea, tamper proof fasteners.

I run into them daily in my line of work (fire alarm/security,) and own a tool to remove them, but pedals... that is something new.

I own a CS-550, PH350, and an OD820.. need to check out those screws.

• 4 years later...

Archived