Help me make my Fender Studio 85 combo louder (power amp + cab?)

Devi Ever

• Members

So. I was ultimately using my BAD ASS MARSHALL FULL STACK OF DOOM to pretty much make my Fender Studio 85 louder, and give it a little marshall tube goodness.

I don't even know WTF I'm technically running out of on my Fender when I was going into the Marshall Plexi... I think it's actually a headphone out jack. :facepalm:

Anyhow. I'll be gigging soon with a drummer and unfortunately my studio 85 becomes mud as I crank it (speaker's fault). So I need a decent portable, but loud extension.

So I'm thinking the simple solution would be to run the 85 out into a power amp of some sort and then into a larger cabinet (probably something in a Fender with celestions).

So yeah... standalone power amps are totally new to me, so I don't even know where to begin. I'm pretty sure I can swing finding a good cabinet... so yeah, I guess the end-game question here is what kind of power amp I should get? As much as I want some tube and marshally, more than anything I really need something cost effective and loud.

Shit... it just occurred to me... the Studio 85 is supposed to 85 fucking watts... so should I just be able to wire up the speakers to an output jack and have the fucker power a cabinet itself?

:idea:

Thanks,

devi-

• Members

So. I was ultimately using my BAD ASS MARSHALL FULL STACK OF DOOM to pretty much make my Fender Studio 85 louder, and give it a little marshall tube goodness.

I don't even know WTF I'm technically running out of on my Fender when I was going into the Marshall Plexi... I think it's actually a headphone out jack.
:facepalm:

Anyhow. I'll be gigging soon with a drummer and unfortunately my studio 85 becomes mud as I crank it (speaker's fault). So I need a decent portable, but loud extension.

So I'm thinking the simple solution would be to run the 85 out into a power amp of some sort and then into a larger cabinet (probably something in a Fender with celestions).

So yeah... standalone power amps are totally new to me, so I don't even know where to begin. I'm pretty sure I can swing finding a good cabinet... so yeah, I guess the end-game question here is what kind of power amp I should get? As much as I want some tube and marshally, more than anything I really need something cost effective and loud.

Shit... it just occurred to me... the Studio 85 is supposed to 85 fucking watts... so should I just be able to wire up the speakers to an output jack and have the fucker power a cabinet itself?

:idea:

Thanks,

devi-

I had a friend that used to love his shitty little Peavey solid state combo so much that he removed the amp from the cabinet, stuck it into a little suitcase and would just use the line out from it straight into a PA.

• Members

I need a 10" unfortunately. :(

OKAY.... so weber has like a bajillion speakers.... I need something that I can fooking get the most volume and clarity out of the thump thumping 85 watts my Fender is kicking. I want my distortion to ring clear and my rat to chunk-a-chunk-chugga-chuck-chunk.

[YOUTUBE]8vJi2cBEHaI[/YOUTUBE]

This is a good example because I start out with the amp dirt, then go into the RAT rawk... (the camera mic makes it sound thin of course), but anyhow... this is at like 3 on my amp, and if I go any further it starts to distort and get muffled in a bad way. I need to be able to crank it up loud enough to keep up with a drummer but still maintain clarity and heavy bottom end.

Rock me babies... rock me with your speaker knowledge. I'm ready to pull the trigger as soon as someone can open mine eyes to what is the what.

devi-

• Members

you know, you can make your own baffle to accomidate a 12" speaker. hell, you could probably cut that 10" speaker hole on the existing baffle out to fit a 12" in there. maybe.

id go with a custom baffle and a 12".

ARG! EFFORT! MY WORST ENEMY! :mad:

• Members

For seriously though... I'll probably get the rack mount pro version of the 85 eventually, if the crunch channel is the same (and if I can find one).

Otherwise, yeah... custom baffle someday... totally.

Until then, I'm thinking a nice 10" replacement speaker will suffice. I just need to be able open up the bastard amp a little bit more with out muddying {censored} up.

Archived