Harmony Central Forums
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help me make my Fender Studio 85 combo louder (power amp + cab?)

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me make my Fender Studio 85 combo louder (power amp + cab?)

So. I was ultimately using my BAD ASS MARSHALL FULL STACK OF DOOM to pretty much make my Fender Studio 85 louder, and give it a little marshall tube goodness.

I don't even know WTF I'm technically running out of on my Fender when I was going into the Marshall Plexi... I think it's actually a headphone out jack.

Anyhow. I'll be gigging soon with a drummer and unfortunately my studio 85 becomes mud as I crank it (speaker's fault). So I need a decent portable, but loud extension.

So I'm thinking the simple solution would be to run the 85 out into a power amp of some sort and then into a larger cabinet (probably something in a Fender with celestions).

So yeah... standalone power amps are totally new to me, so I don't even know where to begin. I'm pretty sure I can swing finding a good cabinet... so yeah, I guess the end-game question here is what kind of power amp I should get? As much as I want some tube and marshally, more than anything I really need something cost effective and loud.

****************... it just occurred to me... the Studio 85 is supposed to 85 ****************ing watts... so should I just be able to wire up the speakers to an output jack and have the ****************er power a cabinet itself?

Thanks,
    devi-

I think you'd be better off getting a new amp rather than dumping a ton of cash into making the 85' louder..

imo of course.
    Guitars - Too many

Effects - Dirt

Amps - Hiwatt DR504 - Hiwatt Cab

Rack Unpacked
    www.Stocklinphotography.com

Comment

I think you'd be better off getting a new amp rather than dumping a ton of cash into making the 85' louder..

imo of course.

Can't give up the 85's dirt channel... love it too much.

Comment

So. I was ultimately using my BAD ASS MARSHALL FULL STACK OF DOOM to pretty much make my Fender Studio 85 louder, and give it a little marshall tube goodness.

I don't even know WTF I'm technically running out of on my Fender when I was going into the Marshall Plexi... I think it's actually a headphone out jack.

Anyhow. I'll be gigging soon with a drummer and unfortunately my studio 85 becomes mud as I crank it (speaker's fault). So I need a decent portable, but loud extension.

So I'm thinking the simple solution would be to run the 85 out into a power amp of some sort and then into a larger cabinet (probably something in a Fender with celestions).

So yeah... standalone power amps are totally new to me, so I don't even know where to begin. I'm pretty sure I can swing finding a good cabinet... so yeah, I guess the end-game question here is what kind of power amp I should get? As much as I want some tube and marshally, more than anything I really need something cost effective and loud.

****************... it just occurred to me... the Studio 85 is supposed to 85 ****************ing watts... so should I just be able to wire up the speakers to an output jack and have the ****************er power a cabinet itself?

Thanks,
        devi-

I had a friend that used to love his ****************ty little Peavey solid state combo so much that he removed the amp from the cabinet, stuck it into a little suitcase and would just use the line out from it straight into a PA.
        Guitars:Fender Jaguar HH, Fender MIJ Jazzmaster, Gibson Les Paul StudioAmps:2 Silverface 1970s Fender Pro Reverbs, Fender Blues Deluxe, Ampeg V4, 80s Roland JC-120Current Main RigFulltone Fulldrive II--> Keeley modded Rat--> Line 6 FM4--> EHX Deluxe Memory Man--> Line 6 Verbzilla--> Roland JC-120Other StuffKorg Electribe, iPad2 (Beatmaker 2, iSequence, Animoog)

Comment

Might need a more efficient speaker, but yeah the red knob Fender solid-states have a neat distortion channel.

The M-80's have less EQ, but the same basic vibe.
          Originally posted by Anderton
          This thread was just reported for trolling. But, it should have been reported for exceptionally dumb trolling. Due to failing to comply with that technicality, it won't be deleted.

Comment

Throw one of those Devi Ever fuzz pedals in your signal.

That'll louden **************** up real fast.
            I like guitars.

Comment

upgrade to an eminence speaker or something with a high decibel rating. above 100 db's should do it. more effecient speakers get louder.

check out weber.
              Test Tech Wattson Classic ElectronicsEL KABONG wrote: I turned down $25 grand cash for gay sex.

Comment

upgrade to an eminence speaker or something with a high decibel rating. above 100 db's should do it. more effecient speakers get louder.

check out weber.

rawr!!

Comment

yes. lions. they go "rawr!!!"
                  Test Tech Wattson Classic ElectronicsEL KABONG wrote: I turned down $25 grand cash for gay sex.

Comment

celestion century 2kg,very clear sound so you really heard the amp's tone with very little colouration,
                    102db so it was F@

Comment

I need a 10" unfortunately.

OKAY.... so weber has like a bajillion speakers.... I need something that I can fooking get the most volume and clarity out of the thump thumping 85 watts my Fender is kicking. I want my distortion to ring clear and my rat to chunk-a-chunk-chugga-chuck-chunk.

This is a good example because I start out with the amp dirt, then go into the RAT rawk... (the camera mic makes it sound thin of course), but anyhow... this is at like 3 on my amp, and if I go any further it starts to distort and get muffled in a bad way. I need to be able to crank it up loud enough to keep up with a drummer but still maintain clarity and heavy bottom end.

Rock me babies... rock me with your speaker knowledge. I'm ready to pull the trigger as soon as someone can open mine eyes to what is the what.

devi-

Comment

let the PA do the work,use your amp to get the tone
                        seriously its way way easier to make a good sounding,small amp sound huge than to tame an amp thats too loud

but try to find a neodium 10'

Comment

let the PA do the work,use your amp to get the tone
                          seriously its way way easier to make a good sounding,small amp sound huge than to tame an amp thats too loud

but try to find a neodium 10'

https://taweber.powweb.com/weber/neo10.htm rawr?

Comment

you know, you can make your own baffle to accomidate a 12" speaker. hell, you could probably cut that 10" speaker hole on the existing baffle out to fit a 12" in there. maybe.

id go with a custom baffle and a 12".

Comment

you know, you can make your own baffle to accomidate a 12" speaker. hell, you could probably cut that 10" speaker hole on the existing baffle out to fit a 12" in there. maybe.

id go with a custom baffle and a 12".

ARG! EFFORT! MY WORST ENEMY!

Comment

Working...
                              X