OT: what not to wear on stage!

zinzin

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

haha...Ive been on the fence about the shorts to shows thing myself. In the end I decided on comfort and function over ball sweat running down both legs into my socks during the show.

Its been as humid as a South American Jungle in Philly for most of the summer and we've been loading and unloading lots of gear. **** the fashion show, we'll win them over with the music, my boys need to breathe..haha.

So zinzin, just straight leather pants for you this summer?

• Members

You can do shorts, but you've gotta do them right. You've gotta sport pairs solid in colour, with no extra bits that sit just a bit above the knee. Avoid AE breaux shorts with either the pseudo plaid look to them, or loaded with a million and a half cargo pockets with buttoned/zippered flaps overtop. Ugh.

But really, who cares. There's only a few weeks in the year where it's hot enough out that wearing a pair of shorts onstage would be a good idea. Jeans are the de facto standard otherwise.

• Members

Phil O'Keefe wrote:

"If you want to go to a fashion show, I suggest you go to the garment district. But if you want to hear rock and roll music, you shouldn't be too concerned about what we're wearing."

- Duane Allman

I have to disagree with Phil/Duane Allman.  Of course if I go to see a live music I expect different things from different acts.  But live music is a visual experience as much as it is a aural one.  Otherwise people would just stay home and listen to a recording.  People general say "I'm going to see and band" not "I'm going to hear a band".  I know I'm going to see something different if I go to a Muse show than if I go to a Allmans show. 

That said, I don't want to see Eric Clapton's old legs in hideous shorts or Neil Young's hairy old toes in sandals (both of which I've had the displeasure of witnessing).  And I don't want to see some dorky dudes in a cover band in shorts or sandals either.  

It's simply a matter of respect for ones audience.

So you can go on stage wearing a Hawaiian shirt and flip flops but if you hear someone in the audience booing, it might be me.

• Members

jw10 wrote:

Who gives a ****? Vedder always wore shorts. I don't think you should "dress up" on stage at all

...and Vedder is a prat. Thanks for proving the point.

You don't need to "dress up" like you're in the Fabtones circa 1962, just don't look like a goober.

Archived