The Magicstomp Lounge

squareking

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

...i will purchase a magicstomp II on saturday.

i can't believe i didn't take a serious look at this pedal before. i'll retire my line six dl4, which has served me well for more than five years. i have a buyer for it, but i may decide to keep it for its looping features, which are quite astounding. i also negotiated a good price - $250 canadian.

the magicstomp sounds amazing. i've done my homework on this, downloading the manual and patch lists, reading every review i can get my hands on, and consulting with other owners around the world.

i plan to have it programmed and ready to go for my gigs next weekend. i'll be back here next week with a full report.

incidentally, i plan to use only the fx section, as i am already quite happy with the overdrive and distortion pedals that i currently use (radial tonebone hot british and classic trimode).

• Members

Originally posted by david henman

...i will purchase a magicstomp II on saturday.

i can't believe i didn't take a serious look at this pedal before. i'll retire my line six dl4, which has served me well for more than five years. i have a buyer for it, but i may decide to keep it for its looping features, which are quite astounding. i also negotiated a good price - $250 canadian.

the magicstomp sounds amazing. i've done my homework on this, downloading the manual and patch lists, reading every review i can get my hands on, and consulting with other owners around the world.

i plan to have it programmed and ready to go for my gigs next weekend. i'll be back here next week with a full report.

incidentally, i plan to use only the fx section, as i am already quite happy with the overdrive and distortion pedals that i currently use (radial tonebone hot british and classic trimode).

Could you explain me is it possible to prepare a patch with effects in any desired order ( i think about compressor , eq and distortion for example)...I tested magic stomp in performance mode , than i had short while to look at application on computer and it seemed to me that it`s impossible to make like this...

It`s a pitty , effect sounds great , transparent and smooth...

regards

Jan

• Members

Originally posted by janek

Could you explain me is it possible to prepare a patch with effects in any desired order ( i think about compressor , eq and distortion for example)...I tested magic stomp in performance mode , than i had short while to look at application on computer and it seemed to me that it`s impossible to make like this...

It`s a pitty , effect sounds great , transparent and smooth...

regards. Jan

...i don't think you can. that may be a lot to expect from such a relatively inexpensive device.

• Members

The Magicstomp is one of the finest multis IMHO .. and I feel like a doof for selling my first one. :o

Because most of the preset effects chains consist of only one or two effects, it seems better suited as an additional, multi-purpose effects block rather than a replacement for several pedals. Onboard effects chain options are limited, but the UB99's DSP is devoted to fewer effects at at time, so the sound quality is a vast improvement over many competing units. I have found that it works especially well with digital multifx/modelers that have less-than-stellar modulation, delay, pitch shifting, and reverb effects ... and the fuzzes and ODs aren't half bad either. :thu:

• Members

I've had the version 1 for years.

A very good pedal. I still go with analog versions of just about everthing in it but it is very good. The UD section makes it worth it alone!

I'm going to try to sell my version 1 and get the version2 so I can finally program it without having to run windows :mad:

Whats the market value for ver1 pedals?

• Members

Originally posted by ChitownTerror

How are its reverbs and delays? Can it do reverse reverb, or at least be programmed to do so? How about 100% wet?

Reverbs are from the SPX2000 so pretty damn decent. delays are from the UD stomp so they can be amazing if you program them well!

Can simulate your own reverbs with UD section as well if you're game.

Don't know about reverse reverb - never tried sorry. No reverse delay though:(

I'm sure it does 100% wet - the magicstomp has a level of parameter programing and quality unheard of it a unit of this pricerange (or those many leagues above it)

to give you some idea the UD stomp originally sold for over $1000 AUD and is included in the magic stomp with full functionality - Only thing it lacks is tap tempo, looping and the user interface.

• Members

I bought mine a couple of years back when I was shopping for reverb pedals. It sounded at least as good, and more versatile, than the Holier Grail pedal.

I spent a LOT of time tweakin' it and getting to know the different effects and parameters. For me, it was a great education in effects.

I also spent a ton of time trying to get the amp models and distortion models to sound really good. I even bought a keyboard amp for that reason, which I've since sold.

I went down a long road to learn that the amp models don't come close to my real tube amps. They're good as far as digital stuff goes, but that's about it.

The phaser and chorus is pretty darn good. But I have a Paradox on order, which will no doubt blow that away.

So, now, my MagicStomp will go back its original purpose --- for reverb! ;) No doubt I'll still play with the other stuff for grins.

-- Joe

• Members

:mad::mad::mad::mad:

yes, that's right. i'm...

:mad::mad::mad::mad:

i finally figured out why the USB wasn't responding...so i started "deep editing" on my MS version 1.

i was hoping that the loss in volume on delay and reverb settings could be controlled via parameters available in deep editing. well, i see none. why should the volume drop? all of the 'verb and delay settings have a MIX knob, and it seems that unless the knob is turned all the way down (counterclockwise) there is volume loss. as soon as you start turning up the effect level, the original signal starts decreasing in volume.

is there a way to fix this?

i just assumed that even if this was the case that i could determine the patch's overall volunme level to compensate for the "blending."

• Members

Got mines in the mail two days ago. I'm in love.

I actually like editing on the computer since you can see everything laid out in front of you. It is very deep (think about it, it sounds as good if not better than most entry level rack processors. It's cheaper than most of the entry level processors and if a comparable rack processor even has something like an editor, it ain't as deep as this).

There are only a couple of patches that I had in mind that I can't get near by tweaking the preset patches.

Only question I have: Does Yamaha or have any of the modders come out with a utility that will allow us to flash burn a new set of preset? Something that will let us load 99 users patches then bulk transfer them over the 99 presets. A lot of other USB/MIDI editable gadgets do this (eg, Access Virus and POD's).

Laters,

Tommy

• Members

Originally posted by angstwulf

Got mines in the mail two days ago. I'm in love.

I actually like editing on the computer since you can see everything laid out in front of you. It is very deep (think about it, it sounds as good if not better than most entry level rack processors. It's cheaper than most of the entry level processors and if a comparable rack processor even has something like an editor, it ain't as deep as this).

There are only a couple of patches that I had in mind that I can't get near by tweaking the preset patches.

Only question I have: Does Yamaha or have any of the modders come out with a utility that will allow us to flash burn a new set of preset? Something that will let us load 99 users patches then bulk transfer them over the 99 presets. A lot of other USB/MIDI editable gadgets do this (eg, Access Virus and POD's).

Laters,

Tommy

Sorry! Not that I know of. You also might want to run this by a Magic Stomp at Yahoo! Groups.

Good luck,

-- Joe

• Members

Originally posted by joegrant413

Sorry! Not that I know of. You also might want to run this by a Magic Stomp at Yahoo! Groups.

Good luck,

-- Joe

actually, you can download "celebrity" patches from the MS site:

http://www.magicstomp.com/eng_flash/patch/index.html

exchanging patches w/ other MS users over the internet would be simple thru a P2P--just save your patch library and post. or even just upload the library. i don't know if there's a site for that though.

EVEN BETTER:

Yamaha should develop COMPLETELY new patches that are downlodable--ones that aren't variations on exsting effects. for example, volume swell, reverse delay, a new spring reverb, etc.

• Members

Originally posted by GuyaGuy

actually, you can download "celebrity" patches from the MS site:

.... for example, volume swell, reverse delay, a new spring reverb, etc.

+1 for reverse delay request!!!

BTW, I read another thread today that claimed there is a volume swell on the MS. That kinda' rings a bell, it might be true.

-- Joe

• Members

Originally posted by joegrant413

+1 for reverse delay request!!!

BTW, I read another thread today that claimed there is a volume swell on the MS. That kinda' rings a bell, it might be true.

-- Joe

might've been me:

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1147153

but i was referring to delay swells.

back to my question:

has nobody noticed a volume drop on reverb and delay settings?!

• Members

back to my question:

has nobody noticed a volume drop on reverb and delay settings?!

I've noticed this with many Yamaha processors going back to the SPX-90.

To get around this, I run my Magicstomp II in a true bypass loop pedal from www.loooper.com

I set the master volume control on the MSII so that the level is boosted just slightly when I turn on the loooper pedal. This compensates for the volume drop. You would think this would cause problems when using MSII effects other than delay and reverb. However, it works just fine for me, as I usually want a slight level boost when using the rotary, chorus, and pitch shift effects.

In case anyone is curious, my signal path is as follows:

Strat > Fulltone Fulldrive II > Boss Blues Driver w/Keeley Phat Mod > Loooper/Magicstomp II > Dr Z Prescription Extra Strength Head w/matching Z Best cab. (I run into the low input of the Z, and the overdose switch is always on)

• Members

Originally posted by ElMonteSlim

I've noticed this with many Yamaha processors going back to the SPX-90.

To get around this, I run my Magicstomp II in a true bypass loop pedal from
www.loooper.com

I set the master volume control on the MSII so that the level is boosted just slightly when I turn on the loooper pedal. This compensates for the volume drop. You would think this would cause problems when using MSII effects other than delay and reverb. However, it works just fine for me, as I usually want a slight level boost when using the rotary, chorus, and pitch shift effects.

In case anyone is curious, my signal path is as follows:

Strat > Fulltone Fulldrive II > Boss Blues Driver w/Keeley Phat Mod > Loooper/Magicstomp II > Dr Z Prescription Extra Strength Head w/matching Z Best cab. (I run into the low input of the Z, and the overdose switch is always on)

thanks for actually replying! finally someone out there understands me!

it seems that the problem is that there is only a wet/mix knob (albeit a virtual one) on most reverb and some delay patches. so if you set the reverb at 25% your guitar signal is only at 75%. which is dumb. as an option, that might be nice and i realize that many verb pedal/rack units work like this. but there should really be a separate level knob for each. GRR! :mad:

luckily, my amp has delicious spring reverb so i use the reverbs mostly for really wet, cascading-from-the-back-of-a-cathedral sounds. but still, it's a disappointing feature, as i got this mostly to replace my RV-3.

still, cool sounds! :)

Archived