Fender teases a new Starcaster reissue

gambit wrote:

Phil - they'll never send you some sexy new guitars to review if you keep calling the Starcaster out as an ugly bitch
:)

One of the nice things about being me is I generally get to review what I'm interested in. :):o I also try to strongly take into consideration what YOU guys are interested in, and those two things match up quite often, but if I think it's cool and worth telling people about, I'll try to review it, even if I don't see a bunch of forum chatter about it. And if you guys are really interested in something and talking about it a lot, then I want to try to check it out if I can - even if it's not something that I would personally want to own because I'm not crazy about the shape of it, or whatever.

At the moment, I have a American Vintage '63 P-Bass here I'm reviewing. I love the sound and appreciate the history, but P-Bass necks and my small hands have never really gotten along all that well. Well, there WAS that oddball mid 80s era 32" scale Squier P-Bass that I used to have and really liked... (I gave it to one of the kids), but most of them just don't do it for me. I'd rather play a J-Bass, or maybe even a Mustang Bass. But even though it's not the perfect bass for me, I feel I can still give it a fair evaluation and review based on its overall qualities, features and characteristics. I've wanted to check out the latest AVRI stuff from Fender since they revamped the line, and I'm liking what I'm seeing. The guys with small hands will hopefully know the neck on it may be a bit chunky or wide for their tastes after reading the review, and that could be a deal breaker for some, but folks who are less sensitive to full-sized necks, or who appreciate having a bit of space between the strings won't "see" the review in the same way. To them, the fuller sized neck is a feature, not a limitation. It's a beautiful bass, and I'm sure a lot of folks are going to love them, but no instrument is right for everyone. That's why guitar companies tend to offer lots of different models. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

TomVanDeven wrote:

Hmmm. Might just be me, but those photos look off. The pickups are positioned too close together, and the curves on the body look a little compressed, so to speak.

I dunno. Feeling weird about this reissue.

Yeah, there are a few weird differences. The neck is further in, which moved the neck pickup. Four knobs instead of five. Stop tail instead of string-through. I believe they're semi-hollow as well.

The Coronados look a lot better to me, which I never thought would be the case.

bcsc

carc

sbc

bc

Although the sunbursts and black one need black headstocks, and the CAR needs a matching one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fender-Coronado-BE-THE-FIRST-TO-GET-IT-JUST-RELEASED-/121166173251?pt=Guitar&hash=item1c36111443

• Members

I REALLY Don't want them to Reissue them. About 70% of the reason i've loved them is because they were this whackky shape and design, that no one liked for a short production run in the 70's. It would make actually getting one so much better.

I've wanted to get one for years which would be a collectors item, but now..mehh it kinda ruins it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I called it! Guess my friend was right... I'd be interested in playing one, it does somewhat bum me out that its a Chinese modern player model and not something a bit more substantial but I digress.

I did own a 67 Coronado that I regret selling everyday, the close up shots of the reissues look kinda plasticy and wrong, but I figure that's to be expected.

Archived