How Many People Here Mainly Play a Stock Guitar?

V

• Members

So I am sure many of you know that I like to mod my guitars pretty heavily. I think out of the many guitars I own or have owned only one electric is stock (My Rickenbacker 330). Literally all the others I can't manage to leave alone and I like it that way. It gives fhem all a different purpose and personality.

But how many people just leave their guitars totally stock. Around here it doesn't seem like too many but maybe it's just a vocal minority who swap hardware and pickups and refinish and such.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

V wrote:

So I am sure many of you know that I like to mod my guitars pretty heavily. I think out of the many guitars I own or have owned only one electric is stock (My Rickenbacker 330). Literally all the others I can't manage to leave alone and I like it that way. It gives fhem all a different purpose and personality.

But how many people just leave their guitars totally stock. Around here it doesn't seem like too many but maybe it's just a vocal minority who swap hardware and pickups and refinish and such.

For me, it depends on the guitar. I have some that are dead stock. and others that have been pretty extensively modified.

• Members

I think its a vocal minority. I'd rather play the thing than go about chopping and changing. I resprayed a cheap guitar once, with spray paint from Halfords, I was unemployed at the time.

I only really play vintage stuff now anyway so wouldn't dare mess about with the mojo of an old instrument.

• Members

1/5 of my guitars are modded. The one guitar I have that is modded is a partscaster based on a Squier strat body that was refinished, has a Mighty Mite neck, a bonenut, and different pickups, and an orange drop cap. The only things I did to it was the bonenut and orange drop.

I put a bonenut in my Valensi edition Epi Riviera but other than that all of my other guitars are stock.

• Members

I had every intention of swapping the pickups out of my Gibson SG Special, but after adjusting the pickup heights I love the stock 490's, when set a bit lower they have some air/jangle in them. I did switch the stock knobs for witch hat knobs though....my '89 MIK E Series Strat is all stock, amazing neck on that one!

• Members

Kinda what Phil said; depends on the guitar (no, not adult diapers on a guitar).

Actually, for me it's more about 'little things that bug me.'  If something bugs me (a grabby nut slot, a muddy pickup) I try to address it (or, if I'm feeling lazy, send it to Guitar Siberia for a while).  I have literally zero feelings about "stock vs. non-stock," excepting potential collectibles, which kinda sorta have to stay stock.

• Members

I have two guitars that have been left stock
The first is my Jeff Beck strat. I have two other loaded pickguards but love the feel and sound I get from the HNs. The other is an Xtone PS1, a set neck vs the newer bolt neck version. I had a PC1v but actually like the pickups better in the standard model.

• Members

This is the only one I keep stock. Changing anything other than the strings would be pointless.

Ultrasonic

My 1992 Fender MIM Standard Tele is stock except for the electrosocket and the witch hat cap on the pickup selector. I actually like the stock pickups on that guitar.

On the rest of my electrics I've changed the pickups. 

• Members

Fender&EHX4ever wrote:

This is the only one I keep stock. Changing anything other than the strings would be pointless.

Ultrasonic

My 1992 Fender MIM Standard Tele is stock except for the electrosocket and the witch hat cap on the pickup selector. I actually like the stock pickups on that guitar.

On the rest of my electrics I've changed the pickups. 

Yeah, I wouldn't touch that either :)

• Members

Most of mine are stock as well (pbass, strat, les paul, dot, dillion jm, jaguar baritone, yamaha hollowbody), But I have an Aria Bolt neck Les Paul i changed out the pickups... and then my CIJ Jazzmaster, I've put Novak pickups in and a Mastery Bridge on.  

I also have a Melody Maker that was given to me already modded with grover tuners, vibrola trem removed/Bad Ass bridge put in it's place, and Gibson Mini Humbuckers dropped in, as well as a custom pickguard.  I haven't done anything to it myself though.  It was my first electric given to me by my uncle.

Archived