OT: Tatami Mats

Faldoe

• Members

I'm thinking of ditching my bed and getting a tatami mat. Mainly because my current room is small and to keep rent costs low in the future - if I don't have a big bed, I can rent a smaller room for less $ and not feel crammed.

I wanted to know if it is a must to have a futon to lay on top of the tatami mat or if a nice soft blanket is adequate for bedding.

• Members

seifukusha wrote:

FUTON....i lived in an old japanese house for years..tatami are not that comfy...

I like sleeping on the floor. I dont use chair in my house now, but I have a bed...

So by "FUTON" you mean a futon is a must for use with a tatami mat?

• Members

Tatami mats are just another type of flooring, they have a bit of give in them which makes it more comfortable to sit or lie on the floor.

They're not bad if you're just having an afternoon nap, but for a good night's sleep I'd definitely get a decent futon.

By futon of course I mean the Japanese mat type thing, not the foldout sofa with the thick mattress.

Ime sleeping on a futon on tatami floors beats a futon on wooden flooring.

Also best if you sleep on your back.

I live in a place with tatami, but we still have a bed.

• Members

A futon on the floor is not that comfortable.  When I lived in San Francisco I slept on a futon on the hardwood floor of my room.  Not until I put a thin rug under it did it feel comfortable.

A futon on tatami is ace.  I've been sleeping like that for 20 years.  The tatami has more give, like Ambient said, so it's good to have under your futon.

I can't sleep in a bed, anymore.

Archived