School me on shoegaze/post-rock...

npfrs

• Members

npfrs wrote:

What's some of the gear associated with shoegaze/post-rock? How is it implemented? I'm curious about these genres and also looking for listening suggestions, videos are great too!

Thx!

Well, typically the guitars used are equpped with a tremolo (most commonly a Jazzmaster or Jaguar but also sometimes Strats). This is because part of the main sound comes from strumming and slowly and slightly detuning chords (typically flatter).

Effects are also a major part of this genre. It's typical for shoegazers to use a wide variety of fuzz and drive pedals as well/or an amp that also breaks up nicely. A JCM800 is one of my favorite choices for that type of playing.  Typically, all effects go in front of the amp in shoegaze and most notably delays and reverbs are placed before distortion/fuzz/drive pedals or in front of a dirty amp. In some cases reverb will be used 100% wet and with some modulation on the reverb.  

However, it's up to you. The real key is running delays and reverbs before distortion instead of after (or in adition to after).

• Members

in terms of post-rock.. reverb, delay and any kind of drive that goes from clean to a massive crushing crescendo of volume. tremolo-picking with delay and reverb can be good.. i do it too much.

dynamics are your friend. and the less you play sometimes the better it is. my two biggest influences:

• Members

thecakeguru wrote:

Look up tubescreamer on youtube... the kid knows whats up and has some stellar tones!!! Also to help you out, he has a several part video series on getting that ambient sound.... good luck!

Andy's name has come up a few times but I kind of looked at his project as more ambient, less what I've previously considered "shoegaze."

Archived