Pedalboard-friendly summing / mixing boxes

They may not be sexy, but they're needed. Got a couple of mono in / stereo out pedals? Then like me, you could probably use a multi-input summing box. And I don't think there are that many out there, which is where you come in. If you know of any, please post them. If you are a builder, please consider designing / building something along these lines.

Thanks. :wave:

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

00000267.jpg

What's wrong with the old DOD 240? They can be had for pretty much nothing and work fine.

Well, those are totally passive so you could end up with some weird interactions between pedals. I have one from take flight, I believe, that works pretty well. 4 in 1 out. I don't know if take flight are still making them, though. Or anything.

I've been thinking of designing a pair of pedals that would be intended for use together. One a 3 or 4 way splitter that would let you choose full frequency, bass, mid, or treble only for each channel and the other a simple 4-input mixer. The idea would be you could send different frequencies to different pedals in parallel and then recombine them at the end.

Well, it's a brainstorm, anyway. I need to look more into how a few aspects of it would best be implemented.

• Members

00000267.jpg

What's wrong with the old DOD 240? They can be had for pretty much nothing and work fine.

a couple issues with the DOD would be, it's mono, so if you're mixing a few stereo pedals you're limited to one output in mono, instead of stereo and you'd only be able to mix two stereo pedasl to mono which wouldn't make much sense.

it's also passive instead of active, it also has no sum level. a cool box but very limited.

• Members

so more or less something like this, powered, can set input/output gain, sum from stereo to mono and isn't a $3000+ rack unit...

sumbox.jpg

?

with the picture this concept makes perfect sense, that is, if the picture is accurately depicting what phil was describing.

• Members

It's mono out, which may not be what you want, but on my bass board I use a Behringer MX400 to mix the high and low frequency chains - biamping goodness. Yeah, it's got the B word on it. But it's tiny (smaller than boss pedal size) active so avoids the passive resistance mixer tone-suck, sounds good and clean, metal casing and sits low enough that I don't bump the knobs with my feet. And cheap as chips. Downsides? Needs 12V power, which for my 1spot-powered bass board means a separate wall wart. But that's the only thing.

Steve

• Members

Sadly, these are no longer being made:

mixmatch-review-sc.jpg

It works really well, though.

I like to use it for parallel effects: e.g. two (or more) dirt pedals in parallel - or for adding a clean blend to dirt pedals. (It's a shame the Award-Session doesn't have phase switches.)

Other uses:

If you have a delay/reverb with wet and dry outputs, you can process each signal separately - e.g. chorus/vibrato/tremo/etc. on the repeats only...

Tri Chorus - split signal to three chorus (set to 100% wet) or vibrato pedals combined with dry signal.

If you only need two inputs, then the Barge Concepts VB-jr TB loop blender can also be used as a 2-into-1 mixer if you just plug into the main input and the loop return and leave the send disconnected, so I will assume that other similar products like the Xotic X-Blender will work just as well... and there's always the good old Boss LS-2.

• Members

so more or less something like this, powered, can set input/output gain, sum from stereo to mono and isn't a $3000+ rack unit...

sumbox.jpg

?

this sums a stereo signal to mono. I think phil wants stereo summed to stereo?

Archived