YAMAHA THR AMP...

fuzzface71

• Members

I must admit that I haven't known about this amp until yesterday. Wow, I must say!

My buddy bought the THR5, but now since last night...I'm having major GAS!!! I want one too! mad.gif

Is it really all that? I'm still not quite convinced...I might have to borrow his and try it here at home...

yamahathr10.jpg

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by k tone

View Post

Ya I know. True though. It's just that the proprietary technology of "turn the gain knob up and you get more gain!" doesn't do much for me.

have you heard one in person? i think theyre incredible. ive never heard sounds so huge coming from an amp the size of a surround sound center speaker sized amp.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Picklebottom

View Post

have you heard one in person? i think theyre incredible. ive never heard sounds so huge coming from an amp the size of a surround sound center speaker sized amp.

No I have not. The video does not do it justice I guess? I will have to check it out. For that price I still would not buy one though. Sounds like it has some fans.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by k tone

View Post

No I have not. The video does not do it justice I guess? I will have to check it out. For that price I still would not buy one though. Sounds like it has some fans.

you should check one out in person. you may not like it, who knows? i dont really need or want one but i think theyre pretty impressive. idn_smilie.gif

• Members

You've got a good point about the price. I think it's priced pretty well but when it comes to selling you're obviously going to take a loss. So be sure you really want/need it. (As much as any of us really want/need any more of this {censored}).

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by k tone View Post
This video did it more justice.

I have tried it yesterday and was impressed. But after seeing the NAMM video (because the actuality of using it as a computer speaker with iPod, USB port). And now hearing this dood's Van Halen, Slash tones (although, I don't play that style). Makes me really GAS for one right now. $200 for the 5 and $300 for the 10 is not a bad price imo....I have bought more expensive single stompboxes for more!

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzface71

View Post

I have tried it yesterday and was impressed. But after seeing the NAMM video (because the actuality of using it as a computer speaker with iPod, USB port). And now hearing this dood's Van Halen, Slash tones (although, I don't play that style). Makes me really GAS for one right now. $200 for the 5 and $300 for the 10 is not a bad price imo....I have bought more expensive single stompboxes for more!

I will be interested to hear how you like it. I am a cheap bastard so most of my pedals are Boss/ MXR type of stuff LOL. If I had $300 to spare I would probably look for something used w/ tubez (like I need another amp!).

• Members

I got the THR-10 several weeks ago. I put it on my desk next to my computer and I haven't fired up my Boogie/pedalboard for practice once. It sounds good and is super-convenient. I also disconnected my external speakers and Focusrite interface since it handles that stuff too.

7796224174_ef8037a9b1_c.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzface71

View Post

Watch and listen to this video and tell me you're not getting a lot of value for that $300. And that's just the sounds / models / effects. Those VCM effects are also used by Yamaha in my digital console - it's good quality stuff that I use all the time. The THR10 can also function as an audio interface and speakers for your computer and iPhone. It comes bundled with Cubase AI and editor / librarian software for the THR. It even includes a tuner. I'll admit that Virtual Tube Illumination is kinda cheesy though. Still, that's a lot of stuff for that price, and when you hear one in person, you'll be surprised by just how loud it gets and how big it sounds. It's more than you'd expect, especially when you see how relatively small the unit is.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Phil O'Keefe View Post
It's a little powerhouse. I saw it at last winter NAMM when Yamaha launched it, and was impressed. They had Phil X demoing it. For what it is (your "second amp"), it's pretty darned cool. smile.gif
THiRd amp wink.gif

I'd be more interested if they were $100 cheaper.

Archived