Help me decide on dirt

npfrs

• Members

Could I get your opinions on adding dirt to my board?

For years I have played with practically no dirt pedals on my board. Example...

7542644692_3f80494ae8_z.jpg

However, I've pretty much nailed down everything else I could ever want on my board (delays, mod, etc) and have also gone from playing purely folk-y music to something with a bit more variety of tones. So while I love my Tim (it is staying on my board for sure) I am ready to add to it. Here's what I currently have and what I'm considering.

Zvex Mastotron - It's near the beginning of the board and I love it. It's the only pedal I've bought twice.

Tim - middle/dirt section of my board. I've been using it was a tone shaper and love the boost side.

EQD Musket - I've since moved it to just after the Tim but have never entirely bonded with it.

The above I already own. The below is what I'm considering.

Fulltone Plimsoul - I used to own one and got rid of it when I realized how little I used dirt. I do remember liking it though and would consider it again.

JHS Superbolt - Will give me a real variety in OD tone compared to the Tim, prob a good compliment.

Xotix SL Drive - Similar idea to Superbolt. Even though one of my amps is a JCM 2000 I never have them cranked enough to get that Marshall tone direct from the amp.

W&C Tall Font Russian - Tried this in a store and loved it. It seemed to be able to nail the tone I always wanted out of my Musket. However that was playing solo where as I've read in a band setting it can sometimes get lost?

Arc Big Green Pi - Same deal as the TFR.

TC Spark mini-boost - Might be nice to have a boost although the Tim kind of already does this.

Wampler Black '65 - Loved this pedal from the first time I tried it but never pulled the trigger on it. Maybe now is the time?

WMD Geiger Counter Civilian - Considered a replacement for my Mastotron depending on the gig; not a high priority.

Dunlop Germanium Fuzz Face - I just want one to place before my board when I feel like it. Really, this will have no effect on my other dirt - this is just for me.

So, all that being said, I'm looking at having the Mastotron still near the front of my board (before my Whammy) and 4 max dirt pedals mid-board, one will be the Tim, one will be a fuzz (right now it's a Musket but could change to a green muff clone), and the other two...?

That's why we have gear forums.

• Members

You've got a pretty solid dirt section going on already. If you're not bonding with the Musket, try another Muff derivative. Wren & Cuff, Stomp Under Foot and ARC Effects all do Muff clones that are top quality and easy to dial in.

So given that you're using a Tim (low gain), Mastotron (fuzz) and a Musket (scooped fuzz), I'd take your distorted gain levels up a bit. Huge thumbs up for the SL Drive, I've been playing one for a little over a month now with absolutely no complaints. Set to Superbass mode, both knobs at about noon, I get a nice natural Marshall sound with a ton of midrange and nice cleanup. Consensus is that Xotic really nailed it with this little pedal, and I can see why now.

It's cheap, sounds great and won't take up much real estate. Couple it with what you're already using/swapping the Musket out, your dirt section should cover the whole spectrum.

• Members

The plimsoul is awesome for some higher gain tones!!! Also, ditch the spark mini, and go for the full size spark booster.. You have a three position toggle and a gain control then and can better, IMO, stack it with something else for differing amounts of gain

Archived