Whoah - iPad Air and FREE iWork apps and OS upgrades?

Phil O'Keefe

• Members

Yeah, pretty crazy. And it makes me very happy since I had some issues moving my old iWork programs to my new MacBook last year. So I couldn't use some without buying again. But now, no worries!

Also curious to see how the upgrade to Garage Band works out. Supposedly the computer drummer has been improved. Not that I ever used it before, but sounds like an intersting feature.

Per Gizmodo: "Apple brought out a guy named Zander to demo a new feature called Drummer. Just like the synonymous feature in Logic Pro X, Drummer provides smart, adaptable drum tracks to any Garage Band song. The demo used a robo-drummer named Kyle. He sounded pretty good!"

• Members

The fact that the processor spec on the mini is the same as the new air is pretty cool.  

The one semi frustrating thing is lighting bolt though.  Just not so much music related hardware that uses it without a 30-pin to lightning adapter.  

I started digging into Camel Audio's Alchemy Synth the other week on my 1st Gen iPad, really really love some of the sounds in it and want to buy the library but alas, i need a 2nd gen or higher.  Hope to one day be able run a Keith McMillan 12 Step with it.

• Members

Just an FYI to anyone going from Mountain Lion to Mavericks, everything installed smoothly and still works (sans an initial issue with DivX that required a downloaded update). I like the changes made, the new Safari is pretty slick.

THENKS APPLE.

TomVanDeven wrote:

Just an FYI to anyone going from Mountain Lion to Mavericks, everything installed smoothly and still works (sans an initial issue with DivX that required a downloaded update). I like the changes made, the new Safari is pretty slick.

THENKS APPLE.

I've heard that there are a few issues with some programs not being compatible yet - as always when considering an operating system update, it's a good idea to check for software compatibility first before taking the plunge.

• Members

not happy with Mavricks. waited a day and a half checking forums and sites looking for issues with cubase, saw some positive posts, nothing else, upgrade and THEN later get a warning from steinberg that all their products are broken and can potentially trigger "dangerous" audio glitches that can damage your speakers. Mavricks is also laggy as hell, some programs seem to take way too long opening, lots of spinning beachballs, even scrolling sucks. I happened to be near an apple store today and checked out a few MacBooks, they all have the same problem, really obvious in launchpad, swiping from page to page is slow or gets stuck, and then jumps really quickly if you touch it again. I'm running a 2012 MBPr w/ 2.7ghz i7 & 16gb ram, that should be happening.

on the upside, if you have a trial of iWork or iLife apps (or old disc based versions installed), the App Store will upgrade them to the full new version for free... apple pulled the trails once that got out.

• Members

nomenclature wrote:

not happy with Mavricks. waited a day and a half checking forums and sites looking for issues with cubase, saw some positive posts, nothing else, upgrade and THEN later get a warning from steinberg that all their products are broken and can potentially trigger "dangerous" audio glitches that can damage your speakers. Mavricks is also laggy as hell, some programs seem to take way too long opening, lots of spinning beachballs, even scrolling sucks. I happened to be near an apple store today and checked out a few MacBooks, they all have the same problem, really obvious in launchpad, swiping from page to page is slow or gets stuck, and then jumps really quickly if you touch it again. I'm running a 2012 MBPr w/ 2.7ghz i7 & 16gb ram, that should be happening.

on the upside, if you have a trial of iWork or iLife apps (or old disc based versions installed), the App Store will upgrade them to the full new version for free... apple pulled the trails once that got out.

What? Mavericks is much faster for me and I'm running a 2009 macbook. 

Archived