Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Offical DIY Thread

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone know where I can find a vero layout for the Demeter Tremulator? I drew one up a while ago, can't find it, and am too lazy to do another.

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by greeny23
      View Post

group shot:

Timmy, Coloursound Wah, Maestro MFZ, Maxon SD-9 and my Delay.

Is the Colorsound Wah a fixed wah, or a type of envelope filter?

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by currynoodles
        View Post

Hey guys, would like to ask a question on decals.

I recently got hold of water slide decal paper (The Magic Touch DCT4.1) and attempted to put a decal on my pedals.

So I soaked it in cold water, removed the film, applied it on the pedal and I ended up with this.

Since the decal is easily removed, I thought I would seal it by spraying a few coats of clear lacquer paint. (Arrow Brand).

After a coat and returning after 20 minutes to do a second, I'm greeted with this:

What am I doing wrong exactly? Does the decal take offence to the aerosol lacquer I'm using? Appreciate your thoughts and thanks in advance.

Looks like you sprayed the decal with wayyyyyy too much clear coat on the first pass. Did you use the same clear on the decal as you did for the clear coat once it was applied?

My process is as follows:

1. Print decals

2. Let decals dry for 24 hours

3. Spray 2 light coats of clear to seal the decals

4. Apply decals to boxes

5. wait 24 hours for decals to dry on boxes

6. spray one light coat of clear on the decaled boxes

7. wait 15 minutes for paint for flash

8. Spray one wet coat of clear

9. Wait 24 hours before assembling pedals

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by Moustache_Bash
          View Post

Is the Colorsound Wah a fixed wah, or a type of envelope filter?

its just a standard coloursound wah, but in a little enclosure.

Quote Originally Posted by imbuedblue
          View Post

Does anyone know where I can find a vero layout for the Demeter Tremulator? I drew one up a while ago, can't find it, and am too lazy to do another.

i know i've seen one before.. hmm.

my Bosstone.

Toyroom Effects
          Buy My Spam!

All i wanted was a Pepsi..

Originally Posted by FreekishBluesFX

Your Super Crazy Greeny! Like Super Crazy...... Super Crazy. Super Crazy SUper Crazy...... Greeny23 I love how you are so super cool at this Forum YOUR SUPER COOL ... WE NEED TO FIND OUT MORE ON THESE TOXIC PEDALS... I almost bought one. I AM SO PISSED!

Comment

• What diodes are you guys using for your KLONEs?

How much fairy cum do they have to have in order for mojo tonez?
            Bands:
            http://www.myspace.com/coldcraving
            http://www.myspace.com/telfyr

Comment

• Anybody know how to find the impedance of a cab with a multimeter, or can that not be done because the DMM would give a resistance reading rather than impedance?

Comment

View Post

Anybody know how to find the impedance of a cab with a multimeter, or can that not be done because the DMM would give a resistance reading rather than impedance?

The quick and dirty would be to just use the multimeter. In a very general sense, the thing will read slightly lower than the value of the speaker's impedance. For instance, a 4Ω cab might read as 3.25Ω or 3.7Ω or whatever on the multimeter, an 8Ω might read as 6.something or 7.something or so, a 16Ω might read anywhere between 14 and 16Ω, etc.

For the most general purposes of not blowing up transformers or tubes, that will generally work well enough.

Comment

• Okay, cool. Thanks. I can't remember resistance readings have to be taken in series right? I've never opened up a cab before....is the output jack a mono 1/4"? Would I have to unsolder the leads from the jack to do this?

Comment

View Post

Okay, cool. Thanks. I can't remember resistance readings have to be taken in series right? I've never opened up a cab before....is the output jack a mono 1/4"? Would I have to unsolder the leads from the jack to do this?

Easiest way would be to not open the cab. Just plug a speaker cable in, and put the one multimeter lead on the sleeve of the other plug end(the one you would otherwise put into your amp's output), and one on the tip. That will give you the cab's overall reading. Do not touch the plug with your hands as you hold the leads to it, as that will throw off the reading. Just press it against a nonconductive surface(like: the tolex on the top of the cab) with the multimeter leads, or use alligator clips.

If you specifically need to know the value of a single speaker in a cab, you will need to make sure that it is not connected to any other speakers, i.e.e open the cab and unplug it from the rest. Then the same concept applies though, just put one lead on the speaker's "+" lug and one on the "-".

Oh. Also. If you get a strange value like 5Ω or 10Ω, you may also be dealing with one or more 6.5Ω speakers, a relatively common value in things like hi-fi applications.

Comment

• Sorry for the bombardment of questions, but...

I'm assuming the portion above the furthest stripe to the left is the tip, and the portion below the furthest stripe to the right is the sleeve?

Comment

View Post

Sorry for the bombardment of questions, but...

I'm assuming the portion above the furthest stripe to the left is the tip, and the portion below the furthest stripe to the right is the sleeve?

That is actually a TRS jack, like for balanced or stereo use. In that case, the tip is the far left, the middle one is the ring, and the far right is the sleeve.

Your typical speaker jack is more likely to be like this:

Tip is still the far left, and in this mono usage you will either hear the other rightmost section referred to as the ring or to make things confusing, as the sleeve.

Comment

• Thanks, Chris. I appreciate it.

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by NITEFLY182
                            View Post

Looks like you sprayed the decal with wayyyyyy too much clear coat on the first pass. Did you use the same clear on the decal as you did for the clear coat once it was applied?

My process is as follows:

1. Print decals

2. Let decals dry for 24 hours

3. Spray 2 light coats of clear to seal the decals

4. Apply decals to boxes

5. wait 24 hours for decals to dry on boxes

6. spray one light coat of clear on the decaled boxes

7. wait 15 minutes for paint for flash

8. Spray one wet coat of clear

9. Wait 24 hours before assembling pedals

Thanks for the replies guys. Will try again after work. If that fails, I still have 2 more copies of the decal to get it right.

Comment

• Somehow managed to muck up my second attempt as well.

Oh well, live and learn. You guys were right, it's caused when I accidentally sprayed too much on the decal. So half of it looked great, but the corner where I accidentally let it puddled got messed up.

Will be following Nitefly's method to the letter for my third attempt.

Comment

• Placed my first order through Tayda. Everything went pretty smoothly, but I'm confused about the 1n914 diodes I received. The bag is labeled 1n914, but the diodes on the inside don't look like any 914's I've ever had before. They're small and orange, but they have no number labels on them, and the band is yellow. Is this some sort of off-brand 914 that I don't know about, or did they send me the wrong diodes? Just curious. I think I only spent like $1 on them, so I'm not overly concerned.
                                Blakemore Effects (I now sell Dr. Scientist and DMB pedals in addition to my own.)
                                My pedal company.
                                Facebook page for Blakemore Effects

Comment

Working...
                                X